D90 or D300 and Lenses?

Thread: D90 or D300 and Lenses?

D90 or D300 and Lenses?

ok so have decided to finally part with the cash and get myself a DSLR

i am trying to decide between Nikon DSLR's and lenses, i will be going with nikon Lenses as the glass is pretty nice.

i want something that isnt a monster to carry about, i need it to be able to do scenic holiday stuff as well as specific photography, i have a compact Canon ixus for snaps.

my initial thought was the D90, with a DX 18-200mm multi purpose walk around lens, not too big, decent range so i wont be swapping all the time.

then i need something for macro work, watches etc, portriats, low light snaps etc i want alot of depth of field control etc

but then i thought d300 but not sure how much bigger it is or if its worth going for the 300 vs the 90 dx vs fx etc.

what are your thoughts?

Re: D90 or D300 and Lenses?

It is very dificult to give an opinion on these kind of posts, because it's very subjective matter, and every one is different.

D90 and D300 are pretty much the same engine. What varies is the control interface and the placement on such buttons, and the the D300 body is magnesium.

If you plan on doing lots of automatic shooting, the D90 might just fit the bill. The D300 layout in my opinion is much better because I can adjust pretty much anything without having to go to a menu. Then again, this is just how I shoot. I need full control in an instant.

I am currently shooting with a D200 and I would chose it again over a D90 any day of the week, and in my case, upgrading to a D300 wasn't even worthed. Even though D200 uses CCD instead of CMOS as the D300, it is an excellent machine and you can still get it for less money.

My all time favorite Nikon every ocasion lens would be the 18-200VR, but they are a little pricey. Regular kit lens 18-135 is also very good to start with.

Unless you will be doing photo shoots professionally for a magazine or doing huge prints, I wouldn't bother with Nikon FX (FULL FRAME) format.

I think my only benefit of a full frame system is that I can go back and use a real wide angle and/or fisheye. Remember that Nikon's DX format has a conversion of 1.5x. That means that a 50mm lens will actually be shooting at 75mm, and a 14mm fisheye will be shooting at 21mm
    ...It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live!

so in regards to cameras i really need to play with the interface to determine what i like beeter be it the 300 or 90.

lenses does that meant that id be better off on the fixed focal going for a 35mm which would be closer to std 50mm?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi Alex
    I have a D300 my second DSLR (first was a Fuji S3pro). The D300 is a fine camera which I would only change for a full frame sensor D700. However for now its perfect. I have 3 lenses. No 1 for general use is the 17 to 55 f2.8 Nikkor - expensive but hard to beat. For macro I invested in 2nd hand Nikkor 55mm and 105mm f2.8 - both are manual focus AiS lenses (old school) and both bought off ebay. For macro work focus is critical so my thoughts are why pay for an auto focus lens when you will rarely use the auto focus. The AiS lenses work with the D300 in most of the operating modes - at least all that I need. If you go down this road make sure you dont get the pre Ai lenses as the bayonet fitting does not work on the D300.
    More to think about.
    Regards Gavin

cheers gavin.

basically if i have all the same functionality and manual control i have on my old pentax me super ill be happy.

does the d90 restrict yuo on what you can change?

Quote Originally Posted by Alex** View Post
    so in regards to cameras i really need to play with the interface to determine what i like beeter be it the 300 or 90.

lenses does that meant that id be better off on the fixed focal going for a 35mm which would be closer to std 50mm?
    Unfortunately no one can tell you this. It is a personal preference which you will have to determine yourself. See if you can borrow one of those for while so you can see for yourself.

For example, I sometimes shoot a lot of inside concerts in low lighting condition, and I rarely let the camera adjust for automatic. Depending on the conditions I am changing ISO/ speeds/ white balance all the time. Basically I am forcing the camera to do what I want, instead of having the camera tell me how to take the picture.

I am also changing between RAW and JPG's a lot. Going through the menu like on the D80/D90 for me would be a pain. On the D200/D300 (or D700/D2/D3) series, all of these control or on the top of the body where I can get to them really quick.

When it comes to lens range, I would recomend you start with a 18-135mm and see how it feels, and you will notice which range you use the most. After that you can make a decision on which lenses you would like to get on the future, be it fixed focal or zooms.

If you are going to be using flash a lot, start checking the SB 800-900 series. I highly recommend them. I usually use these in remote.
    ...It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live!

go with the D300 ,,, I got my D200 the week after D300 came out and prices dropped like a comet . upgraded from the D70 to the D200 and I can say . D300 over the D90... I dont like the idea of video from a DSLR , you can do most everything with a 17-55 2.8 , and a 80-200 2.8 and a 1.4 X or 1.7X convertor ... spend money on glass off the bat and from experience avoide the 35-70 2.8 push pull models , they suck in huge amounts of dust
    Just a simpleton who lives in the woods and loves watches

Collection as of 2018
    Tudor Black Bay 79220B
    Vostok Amphibian WUS Special #09/250
    Vostok Amphibian SE 150B04
    Casio G Shock

18-200 is not the best lens out there. It's nice to walk around is but I found it lacking.

If you plan to stay with DX, 17-55 is a very nice lens.

Since I'm planning to upgrade to full frame, I'm getting FX lens. I've bought 24-70 2.8, buying 70-200 2.8 soon and 14-24 2.8 in the summer. Very expensive but excellent lens.

As far as your original question - think about your future prospects. If you're planning to stay with DX, get 300 - much superior. If you think you might upgrade to full frame, maybe D90 is a better choice right now. I got D80 (before D90 was out) and don't regret it.

Thread Information