Digital or Film?
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Digital or Film?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Banned

Digital or Film?

I prefer digital for the convenience, however film is great because you have less shots available so you think before you shoot.

Opinions?

Re: Digital or Film?

Didgial is so much better and easier, got into photography in the early 80's when I was a kid, I've shot thousands of rolls of film. The best part of film was the anticipation of seeing the image, the worst part was the time and expense. I do think the designs of some of the film cameras in the 80's were really fantastic, like the Nikon f3hp, canon f1n, Olympus om4 and on and on. Loved those cameras.
    rockroyalty and monocel like this.

Both have their place. I primarily use digital, but every so often it's nice to shoot a few rolls of film and slow down a little bit. Really nice film gear can be had for dirt cheap, so it's a great time to get into film.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

As a camera lover, I feel sad that film was replaced with digital (at least when it comes to SLRs). each shot had to be accounted for and calculated, there was a process, from keeping the film in optimal conditions, to loading the film in low light, looking through the eyepiece, to using a meter in certain conditions and then adjusting for what you IMAGINE the photo would be... nothing beats getting a photo in the same way you IMAGINED it would be... I hated the waiting and the expenses related to film.
    Digital is more convenient, but it took a lot of what I love about film away... convenience is good but sometimes the process is fun... its like driving your own classic car to and from work vs. getting a taxi and being driven there... its easier to get a cab, you can do a lot while someone else drives, but its more fun changing those old gears and turning that off-white steering wheel
    nevada1995 and teeritz like this.
    Helping People Buy, Sell & Establish Successful Dubai Businesses

In addition to the above there was also that wait you had with film to see how they'd turn out.

I shot a roll on my 35mm for the hell of it a little while ago - it was so much fun. On my digital work I don't like doing post-production work; for me it's shoot the photo and it needs to be as it comes out of the camera. I still love that warm tone from film; straight off the nat digital is still yet to touch it.
    rockroyalty likes this.

I'm going to look into a getting hasselblad 501cm, sold mine years ago regretted that.
    rockroyalty likes this.

Shoot both!
    I shoot black and white on film, and use digital for color. Digital black and white looks well, digital and I disliked all the color film I tried except maybe Portra.
    I prefer film.
    I take pictures too...
    Oris fanboy:
    Aquis
    Diver Date
    Dizzy Gillespie
    Miles Tonneau Chrono
    Frank Sinatra
    wanted: Jumping Hour, regulateur

Quote Originally Posted by nevada1995 View Post
    I'm going to look into a getting hasselblad 501cm, sold mine years ago regretted that.
    I'd imagine people like you who used medium and large format miss film even more... I miss my Nikons, I had the F, F2, F3, F4, and the F5... I didnt buy the F6 because to me that was a cop-out camera...they no longer had the interchangeable screens

Name:  31669_1307754826079_831035_n.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  75.6 KB
    nevada1995 and Gunnar_917 like this.
    Helping People Buy, Sell & Establish Successful Dubai Businesses

miss my F3!
    I prefer the FE2 and the match needles...still that F3 was the tank. It also had the smoothest advance ever!
    Now I shoot mostly S2 rangefinder.
    I got about twenty rolls of 120 I need to blow through so the Rolleiflex will be coming out soon.
    Been shooting digital recently but need to get back to the whole film mentality and process.
    I do believe it makes you a better photographer.
    I take pictures too...
    Oris fanboy:
    Aquis
    Diver Date
    Dizzy Gillespie
    Miles Tonneau Chrono
    Frank Sinatra
    wanted: Jumping Hour, regulateur

I had a really bad ass camera collection. It was Nikon heavy, basically everything from f3hp to em (complete kits) even had a nikonos. I had several perfect Canon's Cononet 1.7, Canon A-1, Contax RTS2, Leica M7, Hasselblad 501cm and many more. Then digital happened, saw it would kill film. I sold it all! Digital is better but it killed the camera collecting hobby for me.
    rockroyalty likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information