Double Exposures
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By Chris Stark
  • 1 Post By Chris Stark

Thread: Double Exposures

Double Exposures

My sister gives me a subscription to Nat Geo every year for Christmas and I got interested in multiple exposures after viewing the photos of Nicolas Ruel in the "Cities" edition in April.

Nicolas Ruel visited something like 80 to 100 major cities across the globe to take double exposures and actually has ongoing exhibitions to show his work.

He states that he uses an 8-second exposure where he mounts his camera on his tripod and takes a 4-second shot in one direction and then turns the camera (shutter still open)
    in another direction for 4-seconds to create his double image.

I tried this, even with my lens stopped down to f22 (during the day) and came out with no image.

So I got into the camera settings and discovered a Multiple Exposure setting and decided to try a few shots (Auto Gain-On).

Let me know what you think of my first efforts?

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/m...cond-exposure/

I took this shot of the FMC building at the top of the frame and then shot the other way with the city skyline at the bottom of the frame to create this effect of the
    FMC building being the tallest building in the city.
    Name:  DSC_2422.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  205.4 KB

This is an interesting shot of the AT&T Building superimposed over the new Robert Center. It looks like a reflection but is not.
    Name:  DSC_2424.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  298.8 KB

Here is a shot taken with an Interstate sign zoomed in and a few condo buildings taken in another direction.
    Name:  DSC_2425.jpg
Size:  315.8 KB

This one might be my favorite so far. I took one shot down the tracks and one down the bike/pedestrian ramp. It kind of turned into a parallex view and the guy appearing to be on top of the train.
    Name:  DSC_2427.jpg
Size:  297.4 KB

This is an apartment building called Locust Point. This shot is basically a shot of the building taken first and then some flowers nearby. But I like how the colors work.
    Name:  DSC_2433.jpg
Size:  533.6 KB

These were all shot in .jpeg format and in Auto setting with Auto Gain toggled On.
    illumidata, Sherpat and thisisjlai like this.
    "Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late." -Ben Franklin
    Damasko | Hamilton | Longines | Mido | Orient | Oris | Rolex | Timex

Re: Double Exposures

Hey, well done! Bravo! They look freakin' awesome. Well done on figuring out the settings to get them!

One thing you may want to check out is ND filters of varying strengths. These allow you to do longer exposures than normal when conditions are bright without overexposing. An example would be a waterfall in bright sunlight that you want to make look "silky" flowing with a half second exposure, but even at your smallest aperture it doesn't work. Popping an ND filter on the lens will cut out pre-determined stops of light and allow you to do it. I wouldn't be surprised if Ruel uses them too (although that's just a guess).

Anyway, again, BRAVO I say! Very creative idea, and splendidly executed. Hope you post more!

:)
    Fiat vox!

Quote Originally Posted by Sherpat View Post
    Hey, well done! Bravo! They look freakin' awesome. Well done on figuring out the settings to get them!

One thing you may want to check out is ND filters of varying strengths. These allow you to do longer exposures than normal when conditions are bright without overexposing. An example would be a waterfall in bright sunlight that you want to make look "silky" flowing with a half second exposure, but even at your smallest aperture it doesn't work. Popping an ND filter on the lens will cut out pre-determined stops of light and allow you to do it. I wouldn't be surprised if Ruel uses them too (although that's just a guess).

Anyway, again, BRAVO I say! Very creative idea, and splendidly executed. Hope you post more!

:)
    Thank you!

Yes, I knew about the ND filters before I went out to try the double exposures but I don't want to get too complicated and may not continue this type of shooting, we'll see. Nicolas Ruel does not go into detail on how he creates his double exposures except for stating an 8-second exposure, which he oddly admits using that exposure length of 8 seconds because it's the symbol for Infinity rather than for any photographic purpose.

I took this one of a work crane on the river and then turned around and zoomed in on a tree. But this one just looks like I shot the crane thru a few branches. Win some lose some.

Name:  DSC_2432.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  375.9 KB
    Sherpat likes this.
    "Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late." -Ben Franklin
    Damasko | Hamilton | Longines | Mido | Orient | Oris | Rolex | Timex

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Outstanding creativity. Great post.

Thread Information