DSLR Purchase

Thread: DSLR Purchase

DSLR Purchase

Would appreciate an email recommending an Internet source for a DSLR purchase if you have had particularly good service - - perhaps just as interested in ones you feel I should avoid.

Regards,

Re: DSLR Purchase

There are a few good photo stores on the 'net. bhphoto.com comes to mind first, though keh.com might be the best place if you're looking to buy used. calumetphoto.com and adorama.com are also top notch.

I regularly buy from both Adorama and B&H...I personally like Adorama better 'cuz I have an account there and they don't treat me like just another meatsack that stumbles in off the street. B&H is a boatload bigger and generally has EVERYTHING in stock, but the 'meatsack' comment certainly applies...

BT

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'll second Brad's choices

In the states, Adorama and B&H are pretty much it.

In Canada, The Camera Store & Vistek are my two top choice, The Camera Store has the best prices and Vistek the best pro sales rep. You have to hand it to a guy when there are waiting lists everywhere for the 24-70 and he puts you ahead of the pack when you tell him why you need it first... (I brought him a bottle of wine to thank him)

By the way, if you plan on buying from B&H, better do it soon. B&H will be closed from Friday, April 18th through Sunday, April 27th. All orders received after 9:00am EST on April 17th will be shipped after they reopen, Passover.
    Last edited by The Dude; April 9th, 2008 at 23:25.

I use B&H more than Adorama ., but you cant go wrong with either one .. What are you looking at getting ... You know it will ignite a Nikon vs Canon debate almost as fast as the Chevy vs Ford debate .... Nikon D200 here .

I didn't know that your "own little world" was in the Peoples Republic of Canuckistan...that sucks, from a purchasing standpoint! My younger brother, Curt (http://curtistrent.com) is in Edmonton and has to basically deal with Vistek or nothing...it kills him when he sees what I pay for the same stuff here in NYC. And it's not just camera equipment, either...buying anything related to computers isn't just more expensive in the Great White North, but the selection is so much more limited it drives him crazy! And with the Loonie now worth more than "real" money, it doesn't even make sense any more!

OLE !!!!!

Brad,

I recently started sending request for proposals to different camera shops, I was surprised at how much lower the prices I was getting ended up being. A place in Montreal was less than in Toronto however I ended up buying out of Toronto because I saved one of the taxes (ended up $600 lower than the Montreal place simply because of the taxes.)

But yea... Vistek is the place for pro-equipement in Canada and it is not like you have a choice since they are the exclusive distributor for so many pro equipment.

Now with our $ at par it makes sense to buy in the U.S., just bought a mint Nikon 28/1.4 in the U.S.

P.S.: Nice capture with Hugh Jackman
    Last edited by The Dude; April 10th, 2008 at 16:59.

Looking for the Nikon D80 and the 105 lens...

Thread Information