Which DSLR should I purchase?
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Which DSLR should I purchase?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Picture Which DSLR should I purchase?

For a year I have only been using a iPhone 5C as my camera for taking pictures and I would like to upgrade to a DSLR and to learn its features.
    My budget is under $500 and the two cameras I have the most interest in is the Canon 700D and the Nikon D3300.
    Any suggestions on which camera would make for a better first DSLR? Thanks in advance.
    Current Collection

| Rolex Date | Hamilton Khaki Mechanical | Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic | Seiko 5 SNK809 | NTH Scorpène | Melbourne Portsea | Halios Seaforth Series III |

Instagram: @confusedwristwatches

Re: Which DSLR should I purchase?

Neither.
    Spend a little more and buy an Olympus OM-D mirrorless system. More compact, excellent imaging, superb image stabilisation and plenty of scope for expansion as Olympus has a huge system of lenses and accessories available.
    ConfusedOne likes this.

Perhaps the first question to ask is what do you want to take photographs of and what sort of photography are you interested in doing? If you can think about that then you can get some advice on what sort of kit you may want to be looking at. Personally speaking, my feeling is that for starting off the actual camera isn't really so important, in that both Nikon and Canon will have a capable camera for you somewhere. But depending on what sort of photography you are interested in doing (ie wildlife with long lenses, street photography with a smaller more stealthy camera, just the occasional family snapshot, etc) that may have more of an influence on what camera to get. Some people may not like this answer, but possibly even a mirrorless interchangeable lens camera might serve your needs (ie M4/3). So let us know what you are wanting to do with it and we might be able to help you even better.
    ConfusedOne likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thank you guys for the responses so far!
    I am thinking of doing some photography that will involve pictures of my watch (obviously) as well as pictures of landscapes.
    I can't think of anything else that I take pictures of other than these two so it might be categorized as "General Purpose".
    I was also wondering if a DSLR would be suitable for video since I have been thinking of doing video reviews as well.
    Current Collection

| Rolex Date | Hamilton Khaki Mechanical | Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic | Seiko 5 SNK809 | NTH Scorpène | Melbourne Portsea | Halios Seaforth Series III |

Instagram: @confusedwristwatches

I can give you a few pointers about DSLRs and mirrorless cameras. First of all, neither Nikon or Canon DSLRs have image stabilisation(IS) in the camera. You have to buy lenses with it, but it's not a big deal since almost all of the newer lenses have it. I know Pentax and Sony have IS in the camera, and some of the mirrorless(can't remember which ones)do. If you plan on using older lenses, Nikon has had the same lens mount since 1959, but there are compatibility issues with older lenses. For the most part they'll mount, but with some camera/lens combos, you'll have limited features. With Canon, almost every lens and camera combo from 1987 will be fully compatible. But Canon changed the mount in 1987 so those wonderful old Canon FD manual lenses cannot be mounted. If you plan on using modern lenses only, I'd go Canon(and you're hearing this from a Nikon guy). Why? Because Canon seems to offer more lenses to choose from these days and many times the Canon version of a lens is less $$$ than the Nikon equivilant.

I'll offer an outside-the-box opinion: Pentax. Now, don't get me wrong, if you have a vast sum of money to spend on cameras, pick Canon or Nikon (or Sony's mirrorless, or Leica, etc). But I did a ton of research and with a limited budget, Pentax seems to offer the best bang for the buck under say, $600. One of the better kit lenses you can buy, a weather resistant body, and in-body stabilization, along with better low-light performance. Plus, if you get a bit antsy with lenses, you can always get an older lens to fit the mount. And if you do mostly landscape, the manual focus older lens will often deliver similar enough performance to an expensive modern lens, often for a fraction of the price and cost.

The one thing Canon and Nikon absolutely have over Pentax is focus speed; Pentax takes half a second, Canikons take .1 second. If you're not shooting sports/fast moving objects, doesn't matter.

Anyway, that's my two cents, and I'm a guy who's had them all.
    Last edited by innivus; December 14th, 2016 at 05:10.
    ConfusedOne likes this.

I got my girlfriend a Cannon T5 Rebel for her birthday. It's within your budget. It takes really nice pictures.
    ConfusedOne likes this.
    Omega Plant Ocean 2201.50
    Omega AT SkyFall
    Breitling Crosswind A13355

As a photographer I always recommend Nikon because the lenses are a little cheaper than Canon's lenses. In the end it's always about lenses. The bodies basically do the same thing. Now on to bodies. Always, and I mean always buy a body that has the focusing motor built in. If you buy a cheaper DSLR without the focusing motor you'll spend much more on the lenses with motors such as the AF-S series from Nikon. Your first lens should be one of the 50mm f1.8 lenses. Inexpensive, fast and very sharp. Both Nikon and Canon make a nice 50mm lens. The biggest question you should have later on is lenses. To sum up only buy a body with a built in focus motor, never buy the bodies that rely on a motor in the lens. Feel free to ask my any questions, I've been doing this for 40 years.
    ConfusedOne and HonzaH like this.

I also use an OM-D for travel and DSLR's for work. Both are good systems but always factor in the cost of fast mirrorless lenses. They are very expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by stadiou View Post
    Neither.
    Spend a little more and buy an Olympus OM-D mirrorless system. More compact, excellent imaging, superb image stabilisation and plenty of scope for expansion as Olympus has a huge system of lenses and accessories available.
    ConfusedOne and ShaggyDog like this.

I'm always a Sony fan for some reason..! I'd say start with any of the small mirrorless, they are great for video, lightweight and easy to use, can use pretty much any lens in the world because of the adapters, the more expensive ones now have IS in the body, I think you can't go wrong. An older rx100 migh be a great buy.
    ConfusedOne and innivus like this.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information