Extension Tubes

Thread: Extension Tubes

Extension Tubes

After spotting a thread in which Jonmurgie used extension tubes for macro shots:
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=226410

I figured I should have some for myself, as I couldn't afford a true macro lens. So I went on DealExtreme and bought their generic Canon extension tubes for $9 shipped. They arrived today, so I immediately started experimenting. These are the first few pics I shot - take into account that these are not showcase pictures, they were taken under the nasty light from my desklamp with the camera handheld just to test if these were as good as I hoped:

Shturmanskie vintage dial

Wittnauer watch movement

Asian 6497 regulator

Yeah baby. And I'm not even trying yet.
    These are going to be my favourite toys for the next few days. Incredibly hard to use, but I imagine that it'll go much easier when I put the cam on a tripod and have a proper lighting setup rigged.

Re: Extension Tubes

wow. You're getting pretty good depth of field. What lens/settings are you using?

I tried reverse-mounting, and it works pretty well, but even dead-on to the dial, I can focus on the second hand and the hour hand will be out of focus.

Quote Originally Posted by SquishyPanda View Post
    wow. You're getting pretty good depth of field. What lens/settings are you using?
    All tubes connected to a 50mm 1.8, aperture 11, shutter 1/10, iso 400. Objects on my desk, lit by a classic halogen desklamp. Camera stabilised by resting the edge of the lens on the desk.

I thought you were planning on buying a set of tubes too, Squishy?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Great photos for hand held. I also use the 50mm 1.8 with Kenco extension tubes. Great taking a shot of flat subjects but the depth of field falls away very quickly, here is an example.

I look forward to more photos from you.

Best regards
    Andy
    Rolex Sea-Dweller
    Breitling Chrono Avenger Titanium.
    Doxa Sub 750T Pro CC.
    Stowa Seatime.
    Aristo Dakar
    Mudman GW-9000-1JF
    PAW1300T-7VCR
    Gulfman G-9100-2ER
    GW-M5600-1ER

Thanks Andy!

I'm still struggling with the setup. A tripod hasn't really helped me much yet, it just makes it that much harder to shift the camera into the sweet focus zone. I need a macro rail to fix that, but those are expensive

On the other hand, my other new toy has just arrived... a lightbox! Which means I could take a decent photo of my extension tubes to show you instead

Not a watch pic, but I found I was getting some decent DOF with the tubes and wanted to share. This is one of my new silver cufflinks:

Not that impressive here, but this is coming from my 350d nearly uncropped. Check out the original size of the pic here. You can count every scratch and pit on the silver surface - which seems smooth to the naked eye - of this 1.8cm high cufflink.

Used the 50mm 1.8 on the 3rd extension tube at shutter 1/200, aperture 22, ISO 100 with the object in a lightbox lit by a 430EX flash on 1/1.

We're still talking DOF in the range of millimeters, but it's getting better.

Starting to get the hang of using the tubes. Still very fickle on which aperture goes with what DOF well, and not being able to set ap on the body makes it hard to compose a good picture. Here's my attemps for my new tourbillon watch:

(no tubes yet, obviously)

All taken with tube #3, shutter 1/200, aperture 11, ISO 100. Lightbox and external flash.

For originals and highres you can check out the Flickr set:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/guysie/...7615690709154/

More fun:

Thread Information