External Flash for Cannon t1i?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rusty_Shakleford

Thread: External Flash for Cannon t1i?

Question External Flash for Cannon t1i?

I attended a wedding over the weekend and ended up taking lots of pics and videos, not during the ceremony but at the reception and other events. This was the first time that I used my Cannon t1i this much indoors and it has made me realize how badly I need an external flash rather than the crappy one that is built into the camera.

Does anyone have any suggestions in the sub $200 usd range? I found this model and am interested in the dual nature of the flash and light for video but I am open to suggestions...

Thanks,

RS

Follow Me

Re: External Flash for Cannon t1i?

well for wedding photography for sure you'll need a high power flash... CANON speaking... the only flash within $200 scope is the Speedlite 270EX (I use this one on my Canon G10) it's a very decent unit and an excellent upgrade from the on board flash but it has some limitations... but for a little more money than $200 you can get this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Speedlit...0958755&sr=8-1

seems to be a very very nice flash unit, it can be tilted and swiveled for bounce on walls or ceilings, Fast recycle time... I recommend you to read the reviews.

the Polaroid flash you found sounds ok... but for a number of reasons I strongly recommend you to use Canon's products on your Canon equipment, as an example the color temperature in a Canon flash is optimized to work with Canon cameras, as a result the flash can be used at it's maximum, other brands I don't know... your camera is really great and even though Polaroid's seems to be compatible... there's always a window for burning contacts/circuits or cause other damages to your camera, the same kind of damage that can be cause by mixing different brand of batteries on electronics for example... hope this helped a little... good luck!

some examples of my little 270EX in action,:

Name:  flash_test_1_by_josmo-d35uq2w.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  557.6 KB
    Name:  flash_test_2_by_josmo-d35ur2e.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  523.7 KB
    Name:  CamyGeneve.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  865.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_6837.JPG
Views: 522
Size:  959.9 KB
    Last edited by jose-CostaRica; November 11th, 2011 at 02:08.

Jose is correct, you will be happier in the long run if you save up and pop for the 430EXII. That's what I have, and for what I do it is excellent.
    Pink Floyd. Dark side of the moon. Side one, track four.
    Gallet Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/GalletChronographs/

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Jose and Dan, thanks for the advice. That's what I'm gonna do then.

Now I need to setup a proxy to block the sales forum so I can get the cash saved up...

RS
    jose-CostaRica likes this.

Follow Me

Quote Originally Posted by DragonDan View Post
    Jose is correct, you will be happier in the long run if you save up and pop for the 430EXII. That's what I have, and for what I do it is excellent.
    Definitely go for the 430. Your first flash should always be of your own camera brand, to make sure that everything works properly. Aftermarket brands reverse-engineer the protocols and though things mostly go right, strange things can happen. No biggie if they're extra flashes for off-camera use, but your first main flash? Stick to Canon.

GuySie,

Thanks for the advice. It makes sense.

RS

Follow Me

Thread Information