Film or digital - which do you use?

Thread: Film or digital - which do you use?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Film or digital - which do you use?

I'm a digital fan now, but I was wondering what opinions everyone has about the two very different "technologies"...

I have several Minolta film SLRs which amazingly (to me) were instantly replaced by a lowly 3MP Canon "point-and-shoot" A75. Now, I'm using a Canon S3 IS and I love it.

So, what do you guys think? Which do you think is better?

Re: Film or digital - which do you use?

Without even having to think on it, a digital is far superior. If you were to use a 35mm now days, how much time would it require to have the pictures processed? A digital can compose the shot and give you a real time preview.

I use a NIkon D200 with my usual "walk around lens" is a 35-70 2.8 and my sports lens is a 80-200 2.8 with a 1.4X magnifier on it .

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It is difficult to argue against the convenience & facilities constantly improving quality digital offers on the other hand I have a number of old Leicas (youngest a 40 plus year old M4, oldest a 1930s well used II) which are still capable of producing excellent photos.

My four year old Canon G3, which hasn`t had a hard life, is beginning to get a little cranky and needs a new (expensive) battery, will it last even another 10 years? I doubt it.

Technology is constantly changing so the G3 is already outdated anyway & superior replacements are available for a lot less then I paid for it.

IMO it is a shame that digital photography appears to becoming a throw away technology, will it get to the stage where it would better to get the digital equivalent of the cheap, use once, 35m cameras?
    Last edited by Mach1; January 6th, 2008 at 11:26.

what gets me is the people that dont take into consideration on a SLR that you are paying money for the glass . thats what gives you the good pictures.. Also people with point & shoots (which are fine ) try to tell me that they have a 15X zoom on their little camera and how I am wasting my money on a SLR but never stop to consider the size of the sensor that is recording the image. Or why they cant blow pictures up any bigger than 4x6 at best ...

Quote Originally Posted by PolishX View Post
    what gets me is the people that dont take into consideration on a SLR that you are paying money for the glass . thats what gives you the good pictures.. Also people with point & shoots (which are fine ) try to tell me that they have a 15X zoom on their little camera and how I am wasting my money on a SLR but never stop to consider the size of the sensor that is recording the image. Or why they cant blow pictures up any bigger than 4x6 at best ...
    The Glass, and that's why I'm using a Canon S3 IS...

I would love to have a DSLR and could afford a fairly decent one ($1,000) or so, but it's the cost of the lenses that I have to consider. I just can't afford a $7,500 600mm telephoto lens.

I ran into this with my Minolta film SLRs many years ago. The cameras themselves were decent, but I could only afford the cheaper "consumer level" Minolta MD lenses. Even though I was shooting mostly Kodachrome 64, what I've been getting with this S3 IS is much better in my opinion.

Speaking for myself, I'm not interested in making large prints. My needs are to put photos on my web site. And they get JPG'd down to 200K or so anyway.

Just my .02

...black and white film grain can not be reproduce with digi
    as I like it... Ok maybe with Photoshop but again... I like film...

Shooting with Nikon D80 and D40X these days...

Philippe

Quote Originally Posted by PolishX View Post
    I think I missed something here. at full digital zoom on a 10 meg camera produces a huge clear picture thats larger than my 24" hdmi monitor. after being sized in photoshop, it can be sent to kinkos for the largest print they have.

I'm not saying your camera isnt good , but trying to compare a point & shoot to a DSLR is like comparing a your nissan Z car to a mini van .. they both may work great but are for 2 different uses .. You say DIGITAL zoom thats the key thing . .. Bottom line is a point & shoot will not have the same shutter speed at low light and wont measure up in alot of areas..Casual use yeah sure, like I said I carry one in my kit bag .. You try shooting motorsports or action photos with that and you'll see my point . I shoot big dangerous animals that can kill people fairly easily and I enjoy being able to reach out and get the pics with a 400 mm lens that is 72mm wide at the business end ..

I do see your point. my nikon d40x takes much better pictures with the 300mm zoom than the sony, but the end size is the same. on doing low light shots the nikon rocks while the sony will show some grain. I'd like to here your thougts on shooting in sports mode. It gets pretty tough to capture a fast object in focus.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information