First Posting

Thread: First Posting

First Posting

This is my first attempt at watch photography. I think my own evaluation was a problem with my lighting. I would appreciate feedback of your thoughts on improving.

Re: First Posting

Looks good, although the depth of field could have been a little longer. Try a narrower aperture to bring the "45" side of the bezel into focus. Unless, you were trying to emphasize the crown and pushers...

Colour cast / white balance looks a little on the orange side, but you may have been trying for that.

Looks clean (lack of obvious noise, little glare) and in focus, though! Good start - keep shooting!

Best,
    Wallace
    For me, every day is a new thing. I approach each project with a new insecurity, almost like the first project I ever did, and I get the sweats. I go in and start working. I'm not sure where I'm going - if I knew where I was going, I wouldn't do it. Frank Gehry

Thanks! I used a light tent and some photo lights. It was difficult first time trying to get the lighting correct as you can see.

In regards to increasing the aperture would that be increasing the f stop for a greater depth of field?

Thanks again

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by GQSTEW View Post
    Thanks! I used a light tent and some photo lights. It was difficult first time trying to get the lighting correct as you can see.

In regards to increasing the aperture would that be increasing the f stop for a greater depth of field?

Thanks again
    Nice job with the light-tent... Could you post a photo of your set-up? I do not have a light-tent yet, but I am looking to purchase one soon. Any tips would be appreciated

In response to the "depth of field"; increasing the Aperture (to f/4, f/2.8, f/1.4) will result in a shallow depth of field. Meaning, the focus point will be sharp, but the sharpness will fall-off quickly beyond / in front of this plane.

Here's an example:

See how the path of the slug is in focus, but the log in the foreground and background is out of focus? This is due to the Aperture chosen to in order to isolate the subject from it's surroundings...

Another example:

Aperture and focus point chosen to emphasize the "Tissot" script.

A narrow Aperture (f/11, f/16, f/22...) will yield a long depth of field with most of the elements in the frame to be in focus. Narrow apertures require slower shutter speeds (possibly requiring a tripod) or using a higher ISO (increasing the appearance of "noise").

Good luck & keep shooting! You're off to a great start!
    -wjb
    For me, every day is a new thing. I approach each project with a new insecurity, almost like the first project I ever did, and I get the sweats. I go in and start working. I'm not sure where I'm going - if I knew where I was going, I wouldn't do it. Frank Gehry

Thanks Omegah. I will post a picture of the equipment.

Regards

Stewart

Thread Information