Flash recommendations

Thread: Flash recommendations

Flash recommendations

Hi all,

Need some recommendations for a flash unit for my Canon 50D. Been to a few dealers and they all seem to be pushing their products etc.. I'd like to stick with Canon equipment and it should have tilt/swivel capabilities.
    Thank you.

Re: Flash recommendations

Then you only have two options, of which I'm sure you already know. I've got the 430EX II for my 50D. It works for everything I need it to, and fits into my camera bag easily. I also just picked up a Rogue flash-bender, which is such a simple idea I'm not sure why it was never offered before.
    That said, sometimes I wish I had the thumb-wheel of the 530EX II, and its longer reach (stronger flash). Those niceties couldn't justify the extra money for me.
    Pink Floyd. Dark side of the moon. Side one, track four.
    Gallet Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/GalletChronographs/

I've got a few flashes (580EX, 430EX, MT-24). I agree with the stick with Canon view. If you can spring for it the 580EX II is the best one to get. You can use it as master to control other flash units, something you can't do with the 430's. I've actually used the Macro Twin Lite (MT-24) as master and had the 580 and 430 as slaves when playing with watches in a light tent.

Another way to get into off camera flash (OCF) is to use some of the cheap radio triggers that are on the bay. The flash will be 100% manual in this situation though.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Good thing the 50d still has a PC sync - you can totally go old school daisy-chaining if you wanted to without having to go the Pocket Wizard route. But the 580EX II is very good like Steadyhands said, and so is the 550EX, one of which I still have in case you want to spring for a bit less coin, pretty cheap on the bay right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Steadyhands View Post
    You can use it as master to control other flash units, something you can't do with the 430's.
    Another way to get into off camera flash (OCF) is to use some of the cheap radio triggers that are on the bay. The flash will be 100% manual in this situation though.
    If you have the money, by all means get the 580. More power in the flash is more potential light to your subject, always a good thing. But don't bother getting it for the master/slave controls, just go the strobist route and learn to set your flashes off-camera manually.

Thread Information