Furious at Nikon...small rant

Thread: Furious at Nikon...small rant

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Furious at Nikon...small rant

Hi -

Boy, am I chuffed at Nikon.

I've had a Nikon Coolpix 5000 for a few years now. The chip, one of the infamous Sony ones, went bad, I contacted them and they said to send it to Nikon UK for a freebie repair.

Did that, and they let me know it was sent to me on 21 May. I hadn't gotten it, so I followed up yesterday evening.

This morning they let me know that I'd have to pay 23 quid for postage and handling to get the camera.

Huh? In all of my over 30 years of owning photographic equipment, I've never had to pay for return postage on a warranty repair, and I've never seen it explicitly listed as a component of non-warranty repair: it's always been a CODB (cost of doing business, i.e. overhead).

But what ticks me off is that I followed their instructions to the letter, and there was no mention whatsoever of me picking up the return costs.

I sent then a nastygram, I'll be curious as to what happens. 23 quid for postage from the UK to Germany? That's absurd. I sent it to them for €12.50 with full insurance, that's less than half. And they didn't let me know that there would be a charge when they told me the camera was underway: that's right, they told me it was sent to me on 21 May.

I'm right on the verge of buying a DSLR, but if this is typical of Nikon today, then the likelihood of me buying a Nikon is about the same as the likelihood that I'll sell all my watches and start wearing whatever Walmart has on sale.

Yargh. I've got Pentax cameras (6x7), Olympus (OM1/2/4) and Sony DV cameras, all have been serviced at one point or another, and I've never, ever paid return postage for any repair.

Penny wise, pound foolish, I think. Or is postage from the UK really so expensive? My experiences with purchases in the UK haven't been that was at all (usually similar to German postal prices...).

With my luck, Nikon will screw up the paperwork and I'll be charged import duty as well...

What *are* they thinking???

Sorry for the rant, just had to yell at someone.

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

Re: Furious at Nikon...small rant

Well when I lived near Toronto I occasionally got parts from Nikon's service center in Mississauga, and the way they handled customers at the parts counter made me happy I never had any service issues with my cameras.
    I think if my Nikon CP5000 goes south I might just chuck the whole DSLR thing and go with a Fuji F6000 (or F6500 as I think it's known in the EU).
    Now Nikon's low end DSLRs don't work with any of my old AF-D lenses. You have to have an ultrasonic focus motor in the lens unless you step up to at least a D80. Is there any wonder I just stick with film for vacation pics?

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

I know that Sony acquired Minolta, but what about the Maxxum/Dynax 5D/7D? They can use the older non-digital lenses no problem, can't they?
    I have a non-digital Maxxum 5 (Dynax 5 in EU), and was wondering about keeping my lens and stepping to DSLR.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi John..How do you get an economist mad? Make him pay 46 buck's shipping! Just joking John. Did you try calling someone at the UK service? I find venting via phone or in person get's more accomplished then mail. I bought a used and broken Nikon D1X off ebay. I sent it to APS. $400.00 for a new shutter curtain and blade. Then a whole new tune up. I paid $40.00 to ship back..but that was over night! Oh..the guy I bought it off of was anal..he had everything with it..like new. Only one very small ding on the body. He use it in studio only. I think I like it JUST a LITTLE better then my new D200.(10MP) I can't put my finger on it but the D1X (5MP) seem's to be more film like.( both in raw). No sevice in Germany? Auf Wiedersehen. John Wilson. P. S. I hope this cheers you up. http://www.animatronics.org/strangers/strangers.htm

"Man fears time; time fears the Pyramids"

Hi -

I'm not keen on Minolta at all. never was. Back in my 35mm days, I started with a Miranda Sensorex, then a Topcon D-1, then Olympus (OM-1, then a 2, then a 4) before moving to medium format with first a Fuji 645, then a Fuji 6x9 and ending up with a Pentax 6x7, which I still have.

With this sort of service, I'll probably go either with an Olympus 510 or the Sigma SD-14 (haven't seen any in-depth tests yet...). The Canons just don't fit my hands, which the Nikons did. Haven't had a chance to handle the others yet. It's largely for travel photography, and the Pentax K10 is also attractive because of the weather/dust sealing and construction.

Sigh.

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

Hi -

No reply online, may well call them on Thursday. Major aggravation: but is that the only economist joke you know?

One of my favorite ones is: Two economists are walking down the street. One sees a $50 bill lying on the ground. He points it out to the other, and the other says "No, it's a fake". "Why" asked the other and his colleague replies "because if it was real someone would have already picked it up".

Or one of my favorites: An economist sees an extremely attractive woman, goes up to her and asks her if she would sleep with him for $1 mn dollars. She looks at him speculatively and says "I imagine so", and he then offers her then $1. She slaps him righteously upside his head so that he spins around and lands on the floor. He picks himself up, stands in front of her, looks her straight in the eye and says "We've established what you are, just not the price."

And that link was fabulous.

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

Hi -

It is frustrating with what sometimes appears to be planned obsolescence. But from what I understand the older lenses work, just won't autofocus at all (which admittedly defeats part of the purpose...).

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

Well I suppose one might be able to focus manually but most of these AF-D lenses are ugly for doing that, and besides my old eyes won't permit that nonsense any longer.
    Add to that the sensor cropping "focal length multiplier", crap on the sensor, the need for new speedlights and a wide angle zoom, and I just cannot justify it as long as film is still available and easy to process.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Quote Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
    Hi -

but is that the only economist joke you know?

And that link was fabulous.

JohnF
    John...I made that up about you. John Wilson.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray MacDonald View Post
    Well I suppose one might be able to focus manually but most of these AF-D lenses are ugly for doing that, and besides my old eyes won't permit that nonsense any longer.
    Add to that the sensor cropping "focal length multiplier", crap on the sensor, the need for new speedlights and a wide angle zoom, and I just cannot justify it as long as film is still available and easy to process.
    Bonjour Ray! Your up there on the tension scale about DSLR's. I remember when I was shooting with my Canon F1n and someone said something about this new thing called auto focus! I said "is the world MAD!!" Who would have thunkit,and here we are. It's (dslr) not so bad. I look at my Kodachrome slide's and my digital photo's and think wow, not to bad. In some ways the Nikon photo's remind me of kodachrome. John Wilson.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information