Good affordable macro lens for canon EF
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Good affordable macro lens for canon EF

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I’ve been taking photos of my watches with my phone up until now and I feel like they may be lacking a bit. Any suggestions for a decent macro lens to use with my Canon 6D?
    Also anything else I need that you think is absolutely necessary for watch close ups?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by kalburnfall; November 21st, 2017 at 18:49.

Re: Good affordable macro lens for canon EF

I've been looking for a macro lens for a while, and the Tamron 90mm F2.8 VC USD gets excellent reviews. Some reviews say it's actually better quality than the Canon L lens equivalent. For me it's still a lot of money, so I still have to convince myself that I can justify buying it. :)
    Cheers,
    Barry

Lightbulb Re: Good affordable macro lens for canon EF

Essential for proper watch close ups is a tripod. A good sturdy one, will last decades and is worth the extra money. I don't know Canon well, but I would get their super 6:1 macro if I had a Canon body. though it certainly isn't cheap.

If you had a Nikon their 40mm dx macro at under 300 is a good lens for watch photos.

Another useful item is a diffuser tent. These can easily be made at home. Some people get great results setting the watch up in an opaque or white plastic office garbage bin. I made a tent wire tunnel frame and covered it with a light white fabric, as my portable watch studio.
    Last edited by Barge; November 25th, 2017 at 07:09.
    kalburnfall likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'm a part time photojournalist. Professional diver full time. I priced macro lenses for my Nikon rig, and just couldn't justify the expense of a 60mm for what little I needed it. I bought a set of 3 macro extension tubes for $40 of Amazon. They work like a charm. I just needed them to take some pics of a watch to sell.

Thanks for the information. I am in the hunt for one lense for my canon. Will look up your suggestions.

I have the Canon 100mm 2.8 macro. It works quite well on close up stuff. I'm not sure what you consider affordable, but.....
    If you get the non IS one it is not too bad. I found mine used on Fred Miranda for $400. It makes shots like this possible

Quote Originally Posted by bazman View Post
    I've been looking for a macro lens for a while, and the Tamron 90mm F2.8 VC USD gets excellent reviews. Some reviews say it's actually better quality than the Canon L lens equivalent. For me it's still a lot of money, so I still have to convince myself that I can justify buying it. :)
    I don't do much macro (mostly landscape), but am a Cannon shooter and real glass IQ geek. Not a pro, but I have sold my work. I'd second the vote for Tamron SP 90mm f/2.8 Di VC USD Macro. If are on a tight budget, you might consider the Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM Macro, which has been around a while so you could get a good deal on a used lens. Check out KEH Photo. I have 4 Sigma primes (50 and 85mm EX, and 24 and 35mm Art) and they are fantastic once you dial in AF.

Here is a good article for you. The best macro lenses for Canon and Nikon DSLRs in 2017: Best macro lens for Canon DSLRs | TechRadar
    kalburnfall likes this.

For the money you can't beat the EF 55mm macro lens. I'm on my second one when I realized I missed it.

Sent from my iPhone using my thumbs.
    kalburnfall likes this.
    It is far easier to forgive than to dispose of a body!

Current collection: 3 Seiko, 2 Bulova, 2 Steinhart, 2 Casio, 1 Glycine, 1 Deep Blue and 2 Invictas, or perhaps that should be Invicti!

Quote Originally Posted by kinglee View Post
    For the money you can't beat the EF 55mm macro lens. I'm on my second one when I realized I missed it.
    Although attractively priced and attractively compact in size, the EF 55mm f/2.5 isn't really a true macro lens. It only focus down to 0.5x size and requires a "Life Size Converter" to focus down to 1:1 magnification. By definition, macro photograph involves shooting at a magnification ration of at least 1:1, or greater. Moreover, 55mm results in a rather close working distance, which can make dealing with your own shadow annoying and photographing moving things (thing bugs) impossible.

I also think that the 90mm Tamron and 105mm Sigma double as useful portrait lenses. Sure, an 85mm f/1.4 would be better (at least in my mind), but at f/2.8 and 105mm you can get amazing subject isolation and flattening with slightly more margin of error in focusing. You can pick up the Sigma used on ebay for $300 which makes it a no-brainer if your budget constrained.
    kalburnfall likes this.

That canon 65mm 5:1 is tempting but its kinda pricey. Also, I don’t think I’d want to take photos of watches quite that close (could use it for other stuff though, maybe watch closeups would still turn out ok), just wanting something with a closer minimum focus distance. I think if I was going to invest in another lens I’d want it to be somewhat versatile, meaning macros, closeups, maybe even normal shooting (macro lens for normal shooting - how is it?) I currently have 50, 85, 70-300, 14. Lots of redundancy I know. Any thoughts on a macro lens that could fill in a gap, or should I just not worry about redundancy in this case? Thanks for everyone’s replies so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information