Got myself a film camera, sort of by accident.

Thread: Got myself a film camera, sort of by accident.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Got myself a film camera, sort of by accident.

The same trip I scored this G-Shock: https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=304426
    I picked up this camera:

I mostly wanted the lens, since I broke my Canon 50mm 1.8, and I have an OM-to-EF adapter, and $25 was a fair price, even if I wasn't sure the camera worked. The winding lever wouldn't move. Either it was jammed or it was already wound and the shutter wouldn't release without the batteries.

Today I picked up batteries and a roll of ISO 400 film. Put the batteries in, and the shutter released. The lever advanced the film (or would have had there been film in the camera) normally, and the shutter seemed to work fine. The metering also seemed to be accurate, and I discovered that the camera has an auto shutter speed mode This is fortunate because the manual shutter speed selector is very stubborn.

My grandpa showed me how to load the film (the last film camera I had was an Advantix, and before that I had "kiddie" cameras that used 110 cartridges) and now I'm ready to rock.

The thing is, I can't just go blasting away because I've only got 24 shots (ok 23. I burned one by accident. I guess the shutter still releases even when the camera is "off"). Hopefully this will teach me to put more care into each frame, but do it quickly, which should improve my digital photography, and save a lot of wear on expensive shutters.

Now I've got a bunch of new lenses to buy

Re: Got myself a film camera, sort of by accident.

Nice pick up mate. Congrats! I just couldn't see myself going back to a film camera. It took me long enough to get used to a digital as I kept thinking I would be wasting film if I just snapped away.
    Cheers,
    Barry

Congrats, that sort of a classic!

Film cameras (still) can do some things that digital cameras can (not yet) do, like extremely long exposures in the hours range (star trails...).

The previous owner apparently liked to do full manual exposures, as he invested into the manual adapter (shutter speed dial right of the lens in your picture). Out of the factory the OM-10 only came as aperture-priority auto.

More info about the OM-10 here:
    http://www.camerapedia.org/wiki/Olympus_OM-10

And here you can find an English language manual as PDF file:
    http://vieilalbum.com/documents_fich...us%20OM-10.pdf

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Oh I didn't know that was an add-on. Cool

Half the reason I wanted a film camera in the first place was for star trails :D My last attempt came out pretty noisy after 10 minutes. Hopefully next time I can get some good hours-long trails. I just ordered a remote shutter release cable, and I know a guy selling a 28mm f/2.8 for cheap

Ha - star trails... - great idea Wish I had my archive of color slides at hand for some examples.

My usual setting was f/5.6 and an exposure time of 1 to 2 hours on ISO 100 slide film. Don't stop down further or the less bright stars will not show. 18mm or 24mm lens. Shoot towards Polaris for circular trails.

Better use slide film - the lab will never get a print from a negative done right. Expect the sky to show some weird colors.

Digital: I have seen many "stitched" star trail shots on flickr, made up from several just minutes long exposures, but all these do have the trails interrupted. And this looks (IMHO) as ugly as a jerky chronograph seconds hand.... And noise is a problem on digital as well.

For film based star trails: The film will show reciprocal failure, that means the sensitivity to light of different wave lengths appears to drop off as the exposure time increases, which leads to color shift in the image (most slide films will give you a green sky). Also the general reciprocity rule: 2 min @ f/5.6 equals 4 min @f/8 no longer applies as the overall sensitivity drops significantly with longer exposure times.

For digital extreme long exposures: Noise is the main problem, apart from the fact that most un-modded digital cameras simply can not do hour long exposures either due to camera firmware limitations or simply for power supply limitations.
    To deal with the noise: One can cool down a digital camera to avoid noise at digital extreme long exposures or simply shoot in an icy cold winter night, active cooling is an option in summer.

I'm not too worried about the color correction. I plan to scan all my negatives so I can manipulate and archive them digitally (I feel that prints are generally a waste of paper, since I share everything electronically). In fact, if it's possible, I'd be just as happy getting *no* prints, just negatives, if RiteAid can do that for me.

wonderful! thanks for the info..
    However I think you should vary more examples to your writing much more interesting !

I finally finished the roll of film :D Gonna take it to get developed tomorrow. Hopefully the metering is still reasonably accurate...

Quote Originally Posted by SquishyPanda View Post
    Hopefully the metering is still reasonably accurate...
    If the metering is off:

Negative film:You will not notice it on the prints coming from the lab if its within +/- 3EV. Negative film does have a pretty wide margin.
    Slide Film: You'll see it immediately.

And if it's off, then you can still use the "Sunny 16" rule for exposure estimates.

Quote Originally Posted by cnmark View Post
    And if it's off, then you can still use the "Sunny 16" rule for exposure estimates.
    The problem with that is that the manual shutter speed selector is stuck on 1/500. So I have to use the auto mode, and I'm forced to rely on the on-board metering. Or buy a new manual adapter for more than I paid for the camera and lens.

Or I can just relegate the camera to a display shelf and keep using the 50mm 1.8 on my digital.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information