Help with decision: what focal length macro?

Thread: Help with decision: what focal length macro?

Help with decision: what focal length macro?

Hello!
    New to this forum and new to macro photography. Trying to produce some better shots of my watches and I am having a rough time with my stock lenses. My equiptment limitations have lead me on a quest for a macro lens . Can't decide which lens would be the best or most versital. A 30 mm macro, a 50 mm macro or 100 mm macro?
    Michael

I am sad, just found out that I only have two wrist! What's next?.....
    Ocean7 LM 2C
    Ocean7 G2
    Korsbek OE 1000M 052/100
    Dievas Vortex -#97
    Glycine Airman Special I 072/200
    Kobold Spirit of America
    Rolex Oyster Date Perpetual SS
    Rolex Oyster Date Perpetual 18K
    Swiss Army Star 3000
    Tissot V8
    Mondaine Chronograph
    Zeno-Watch Besel Big Pilot
    Zeno-Watch Besel Airplane Diver-Red
    Hamilton Khaki GMT
    Breil Chrono OS20
    TX 730 Flyback Chronograph
    Seiko Diver
    Polar F11
    G-Shock DW-6900FS
    G-Shock DW 6900MS 1289
    Many, many more to come. . .

Haf

Re: Help with decision: what focal length macro?

What camera are you using and what lenses do you have in mind?

From where I stand the 100mm focal length is a pretty safe choice on most dslr cameras, you can use it even for portraiture or insects (unless you want to shoot some really shy ones, in that case you can go all the way towards the 150-180-200mm range)

+1 for what Haf posted, 90 - 105mm is a great choice as it gives you sufficent distance if you want to photograph insects and doubles as a good portrait / short zoom lens. 30 - 50mm would be great as walkabout lenses BUT you would have a very short minimal focal distance which would make insect shots nigh on impossible.

Carl
    Carl

Omega Speedie Automatic
    Marcello C Nettuno 3
    Precista Titan Commander
    MM Hommage

FlickR -
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/macrobubbles
    Website- http://amazing-macros.co.uk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the responses! I am shooting with a Sony set up (brought over from my Minolta days). Have a very good range of lenses now but no macro lens. I have a 50mm that I use for portriats along with a 24mm-70mm 2.8. Which is awesome but not so good with Macro. Sony has a 30mm, 50mm and 100mm in there macro line that I am deciding on. I am leaning toward the 30mm because of the price and that I would be primarily going to use it to shoot watches and walk around lenses for flowers and things like that. Still like to still hear your opinions.
    Michael

Ocean7 LM 2C
    Ocean7 G2
    Korsbek OE 1000M 052/100
    Dievas Vortex -#97
    Kobold Spirit of America
    Swiss Army Star 3000
    Tissot V8
    Mondaine Chronograph
    Hamilton Khaki GMT
    Breil Chrono OS20
    Seiko Diver
    Polar F11
    G-Shock DW-6900FS
    G-Shock DW 6900MS 1289

Quote Originally Posted by MC36 View Post
    Thanks for the responses! I am shooting with a Sony set up (brought over from my Minolta days). Have a very good range of lenses now but no macro lens. I have a 50mm that I use for portriats along with a 24mm-70mm 2.8. Which is awesome but not so good with Macro. Sony has a 30mm, 50mm and 100mm in there macro line that I am deciding on. I am leaning toward the 30mm because of the price and that I would be primarily going to use it to shoot watches and walk around lenses for flowers and things like that. Still like to still hear your opinions.
    The 30mm will be great for a walkaround / static shots, the problem with short macro lenses is you need to get VERY close to your subject so things like insect shots will be virtually impossible as you'll spook your quarry. One other (cheap) option is a macro adaptor like the Raynox DCR250 which I use for all my macro shots, it is quickly attached / detached from your lens and is dirt cheap. Using the Raynox with my kit 50-200mm lens you can easily get shots like this:

Regards
    Carl

Omega Speedie Automatic
    Marcello C Nettuno 3
    Precista Titan Commander
    MM Hommage

FlickR -

Quote Originally Posted by MC36 View Post
    I'm not sure why Sony makes a 30mm macro lens. It's such a short focal length - doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. But if the price of the SAL-30M28 is what you're attracted to ($199 at B&H Photo), try a set of Kenko extension tubes instead ($179 at B&H Photo). Here's a link to them:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/406965-REG/Kenko_AEXTUBEDGM_Auto_Extension_Tube_Set.html#feat ures

Here's a snippet of information on them from the B&H Photo website:

The Kenko Auto Extension Tube Set DG contains three tubes of different length - 12mm, 20mm, and 36mm - which can be used individually or in any combination to obtain the desired magnification. Actual magnification effect changes with each specific lens. Extension tubes are designed to enable a lens to focus closer than its normal set minimum focusing distance. Getting closer has the effect of magnifying your subject (making it appear larger in the viewfinder and in your pictures). They are exceptionally useful for macro photography, enabling you to convert almost any lens into a macro lens at a fraction of the cost while maintaining its original optical quality.
    The extension tubes have no optics. They are mounted in between the camera body and lens to create more distance between the lens and film plane. By moving the lens father away from the film or CCD sensor in the camera, the lens is forced to focus much closer than normal. The greater the length of the extension tube, the closer the lens can focus.
    If you have to have a dedicated macro lens after you try this, save up and buy the SAL-100M28 lens.
    - Omega Plant Ocean 2201.50.00
    - Seiko Black Monster
    - Raymond Weil Tango

- Orient Mako (blue face)
    - G-Shock GW6900-1

Fantastic! Thanks for the information and good suggestion on the Auto Extention tubes. It seems as if you need to have the camera on a tripod for best results which is OK. For hand held shots of flowers, insects, etc this may be a bit hard since the auto focusing is hard per the reviews.

this may have made the finals of the decesion. The 100mm lens would be ideal but maybe a bit expensive at the moment.

Thanks again,

Michael
    Michael

Ocean7 LM 2C
    Ocean7 G2
    Korsbek OE 1000M 052/100
    Dievas Vortex -#97
    Kobold Spirit of America
    Swiss Army Star 3000
    Tissot V8
    Mondaine Chronograph
    Hamilton Khaki GMT
    Breil Chrono OS20
    Seiko Diver
    Polar F11
    G-Shock DW-6900FS
    G-Shock DW 6900MS 1289

Quote Originally Posted by Golf Nut View Post
    I'm not sure why Sony makes a 30mm macro lens. It's such a short focal length - doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.
    It's pretty common for shorter prime lenses to have a pretty good magnification ratio at short focal distances. I've got a 28mm prime that can double as a (not 1:1 admittedly) macro that's good enough for general close-ups whilst out and about. Since it's not that high a magnification you stand a better chance of getting handheld shots, coupled with the shorter focal length if you use the rule of thumb "1 / focal length = minimum shutter speed that you can safely take handheld shots", so for my 28mm = 1/28th sec which is pretty slow.

Carl
    Carl

Omega Speedie Automatic
    Marcello C Nettuno 3
    Precista Titan Commander
    MM Hommage

FlickR -

Hi -

For macro work, a tripod - usually with a specialized macro head that allows for fine-tuning camera placement without moving the tripod for every small change - is invariably an absolute necessity.

One aspect to consider is also depth of field: the shorter focal lengths will have greater depth of field at the same reproduction ratio by virtue of their focal length. While this can be an advantage for watches, the need of getting in very, very close is a disadvantage, usually, in the real world.

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

Thread Information