Holy Macro !

Thread: Holy Macro !

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Holy Macro !

With all the talk about macro photography here, I've found myself wanting to take some close-up photographs of our favorite subject, watches... while being a little frustrated, I finally began to search for a true macro lens. A lot of photos posted are awesome.

At first I tried to take photos with my Nikon D200 and trusting the 10 Megapixel capability, wasn't quite happy with cropping an original image to get a "closer" look:

Name:  125808772.bwDqVYsk.EbelNo1AZJack.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  187.4 KB

Yes, it was "OK" but not quite like the super sharp images that I have seen here. With a little research, I found that the Nikon 60mm f2.8 Macro D lens might be a good fit, and I also considered the Tamron (Nikon mount) 60mm f2; both being in about the same price range. As luck would have it, I was able to find the Nikon 60mm used locally and in excellent condition, so I thought it would be a great way to get into macro photography.

While the original image is exceptionally sharp, I'm including a reduced-sized image here. I realize there is some work to do with lighting, which will be next, but I am amazed at just how close this lens is capable of focusing.

Name:  ORIS Macro.JPG
Views: 257
Size:  123.5 KB

Also... I want to thank all of you for the inspiration to get into some macro photography. This looks like it's going to be fun!

Happy holidays.

Jack

Re: Holy Macro !

Very nice! What did that used 60mm macro run you?

I'm pretty much limited to portrait lenses so I never use my Nikon DSLR's for watch photography.

But heck, I ought to go that route and find a decent old Nikkor MF Macro lens!

I love the touch of the "aperture-shaped" bokeh highlight in the upper left corner. The point and click Sony I've been using for my watch photography is utterly incapable of that!

Great job! The lens you picked up is just about perfect for what you are going to use it for. I picked up an old 55mm macro manual focus that I wse for watches. In macro photography autofocus isn't a primary concern since the use of a tripod is almost universal.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi SG... I hope you don't mind me asking you sometime about lighting tips when I have more time to type out some messages... but I picked this lens up today for $300 USD on c-list, and the seller and I realized we are both ham radio operators. I notice the bokeh you speak of and thanks for pointing that out! The photo was at f5.6 with 1/60th sec. I just looked at the menu setting and realize the ISO is at 1600, so with a lower ISO setting and better lighting, I would be able to get better results. Trial and error, they say. Thanks again!

By the way, the photo was full frame - no cropping, and with a tripod. I like your photo (and watch and flashlight - that must give out a nice beam of light - have a similar one that is a single-battery model).

Good stuff! I'm thinking about picking up a macro lens myself. Please, post more shots!

Hi AZ Jack. good to see another Phoenician on the web.
    While your pictures are fine, they are not true macro. The idea behind it is the dedicated macro lens allows you to fill the camera sensor with more than full-size detail. I've had my Sigma 105mm macro (on Canon 50D) for a bit, but haven't had the time to really explore its potential. Here's a shot from my first exercises with this lens:

I didn't see that hair until I got the image up on the computer!
    I just purchased a simple light tent from Adorama, and will be doing some more shots soon.
    Keep us posted with your forthcoming shots!
    Pink Floyd. Dark side of the moon. Side one, track four.
    Gallet Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/GalletChronographs/

Here's another macro shot I just took yesterday, I couldn't figure out how to get a watch into it though.
    pointsettia 023 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I have quietly been enjoying some macro photographs at WUS. While posting a couple of things to sell yesterday, I had difficulty loading some of the photographs. This was one of them, scaled down, but it worked. What I ended up doing yesterday was posting some photographs at my galeries on www.pbase.com/azsheldon and then linking them into the message from there. It took two or three attempts, but worked. Thanks for the comments! (also good to see a Phellow Phoenician here)...

Name:  A - ORIS Rectangular Mechanics.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  208.3 KB

this is quick n dirty

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

heres the url for full size image
    http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/2593/img1771j.jpg

taken with a canon G9

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information