How To Take Stunning Pictures

Thread: How To Take Stunning Pictures

This is a new series starting tonight on Channel 5, and Channel 5 HD at 7:30pm about how to take stunning photographs. It is hosted by The Gadget Show's Suzi Perry. I'm looking forward to this, and I hope it gives some great help to amateurs. Here's the link for more info.

Cheers,
    Barry

Re: How To Take Stunning Pictures

Interesting, hope you can glean some good information form this.
    It looks like it's in your part of the world. I couldn't find info on TV5's location.
    Pink Floyd. Dark side of the moon. Side one, track four.
    Gallet Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/GalletChronographs/

Quote Originally Posted by DragonDan View Post
    Interesting, hope you can glean some good information form this.
    It looks like it's in your part of the world. I couldn't find info on TV5's location.
    Yeah, it was showing here in the UK, and it is a UK channel/programme. I don't know if you will be able to view it from the channel 5 website (Demand Five | watch How To Take Stunning Pictures), or if it will be blocked to anyone accessing from outside the UK. You can but try I suppose.

It was quite good, as it was giving ideas on how to compose a portrait shot along with using natural lighting. It also touched on that you shouldn't have too cluttered a background. I'm looking forward to the next episode to see what other new tips I can learn.
    Cheers,
    Barry

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Yes, it's fun to learn new things and experiment with them when you're behind the camera. That's how you forge your own techniques!
    Pink Floyd. Dark side of the moon. Side one, track four.
    Gallet Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/GalletChronographs/

Nice.

Mind giving those of us who don't get that channel a summary, Barry?

Quote Originally Posted by BenL View Post
    Nice.

Yeah absolutely. So I take it you couldn't get access to it from their site?
    Cheers,
    Barry

I tried to play it but it blocked me stating the show is for UK audiences only.

Quote Originally Posted by solowatch View Post
    I tried to play it but it blocked me stating the show is for UK audiences only.
    I thought that would be the case. It's on youtube, but I think it just links to the Five.tv site, and will probably restrict viewers from outside the UK as well. I've been recording them, but can't seem to get them onto my pc. I'll keep trying though.
    Cheers,
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by BenL View Post
    Nice.

I have been recording them in the hope that I could make them available for anyone who is interested, but they are not what I was expecting.

So far the first 3 episodes have just been about composition and being aware of your surroundings. They have mentioned that it's better to use natural light and how to position your subject to make the most of the natural light you have. Episode 1 was all about how to take a portrait. Episode 2 was how to shoot a wedding, and episode 3 was how to shoot a landscape.

The annoying thing so far is that not once have they discussed what lenses to use or what settings are best for certain shots. They haven't mentioned anything about focal length, depth of field, shutter speed, exposure, or even when to use or not to use flash. No actual camera techniques whatsoever have been mentioned.

There were to tips in last nights episode when planning your landscape shot. One was to use a piece of black card with a viewfinder shape cut out of it and hold it up so you could look through it to find the best compositional shot before you even looked through the camera. The other tip was to use a filter in front of the lens if the sky was overexposed. So besides from those tips, there really hasn't been much else.

I think all of us here have learnt much more in this forum than we will learn from this show. There are still 3 more episodes to go, so maybe they will be more technically informative than the first 3. I'll post here when I've seen them.
    Cheers,
    Barry

Thread Information