As I strolled by...........

Thread: As I strolled by...........

As I strolled by...........

Hi Dudes,

I was strolling a long (no, not by moonlight bay) but by Horsham in the UK, when I saw an old Olympus Camedia 3000 Zoom digital camera for sale for £5.00 in a junk shop.

And being the sort of Chap that does odd things thing like buying old tat from Junk shops, I nipped in and slapped down a crisp new lady Godiver, and the camera was mine.

it's a bit slow, has (now don't go mad) 3.3 megapixel's!!!! and not much else!

But and it's a big BUT, takes very good Pic's.

So as I am somewhat new to digital, how many megapixel's would you think was the min you need for a good pic? and do we need 8, 9, 10 10000 megapixel's or are we being sold big numbers for big numbers??

tonyh

Re: As I strolled by...........

I am not an expert in photography, but heard in the past of something called the 'sweet spot' situated at around 6 mega pixels, I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.
    Stowa Marine Automatic solid silver dial Hamilton Jazzmaster Power Reserve | Jazzmaster Viewmatic Seiko 5 SNZD13J1 | 5 SNZE87J1 Parnis Power Reserve Accurist Kinetic Chronograph MB 560 Casio (G-Shock) GW50001JF | DW5200C | DW5600C | DW5600R3 | G7800B1DR | DW6600 |​ DW6630B (modded) Casio (Protrek) PRG-240B

It depends on what you want to do... just photos to share with family members via email -- OK... but to do more, you may want to have more features and more pixels. But don't let just the megapixel count be your guide to a good camera. My first digital was an Olympus C3020, which is a 3.2 mpx camera, and it was also a couple of hundred US$. Here are two of my favorite photos with that camera.

Jack-at-RULA-BULA.jpg photo - Jack Sheldon, Jr. photos at pbase.com

Jack-at-RULA-sunglasses.JPG photo - Jack Sheldon, Jr. photos at pbase.com

While I enjoyed the film camera history as a vocation as well as a hobby for many years (had a photo class in highschool in 1975, and sold cameras for 6 years while saving for college), the digital world was new to me and a learning curve. So, the Olympus C-3020 was a good start, but also quickly brought limitations -- not to mention frustration -- you never know exactly when the shutter is going to fire. The lens was fixed although a limited zoom, the time it took to focus, sometimes initiate the flash, and take a photo resulted in a lot of closed eyes and missed moments. There was a limit on the ISO setting (to me it was ASA "back in the day") and so on... however, one thing about Olympus is that you can begin shooting practically out of the box, and the image tones are nice with limited menu adjustment. I passed my C-3020 on to my father and he still has it. It runs on "AA" rechargable batteries, and it still works 100%.

Check Olypmus cameras here: Olympus Digital Cameras: Digital Photography Review

My next digital camera was an Olympus C8080, purchased in 2004. Now, this was a great travel camera with a wide-zoom, which was a fixed lens but a nice one at that. It brought 8 MPX and a flexible viewing screen. Again, it had its drawbacks because it was not a DSLR - the viewfinder was a tiny TV type screen. Focusing in low light was a problem, but it was otherwise miles ahead of the 3020 as far as speed of focusing and taking a photo. I took thousands of photos with this camera, and can get some nice prints out of the images. Although I had made an investment into film cameras, I was not too eager to make a big investment into digital just yet. So, I began to read more about Olympus, and bought a used E-1, which is their 5 MPX DSLR. I still have the E-1 today and a friend has my C8080 and loves it. While the E-1 is only 5 MPX, and the requirement of some magazines is 6 MPX minimum (I learned this at a Nikon-sponsored seminar a couple of years ago), the photos are consistently nice.

The set of photos from my trip to Kansas City are with the C8080: Kansas City 2005 and a Little Jazz, Too! Photo Gallery by Jack Sheldon, Jr. at pbase.com

The set of photos from a 2006 trip to Washington DC are with the E-1 (although overcast and hazy conditions): Washington DC 2006 (Olympus E-1) Photo Gallery by Jack Sheldon, Jr. at pbase.com

Then, in 2006 just before the trip to Washington DC, I made a larger investment into a Nikon D200. I also have this camera and love it, but with battery pack and speedlight flash unit, it is a good sized piece of equipment to carry around. Still, if I want to "go big" in the world of enlarged prints, I would tend to want to use this camrea with its 10.2 MPX. I picked it up when driving through New Jersey and used it exclusively through the rest of my 2006 vacation to Connecticut, Ohio, and Michigan. The difference became the learning curve into the depths of the digital world and although I understand f-stops and shutter speeds, now all the settings in the complicated (at first) menu system were front and center. I had to learn quickly.

MICHIGAN 2006 (Nikon D200) Photo Gallery by Jack Sheldon, Jr. at pbase.com

Still... I like the E-1 even though it is only 5 mpx. I'll take it when I know the lighting is not going to be a limitation and when I do not need a flash (it does not have a built in flash but requires a separate unit). A couple of my favorites...

Ohhh yes, summer fun! photo - Jack Sheldon, Jr. photos at pbase.com

Wind-suspended seagull. photo - Jack Sheldon, Jr. photos at pbase.com

So... experiment with your 3.3 MPX Olympus... and you may have some of the same frustratios... and then you'll jump into the world of Digital... I'm looking at a Nikon P7000 for light travel... also another one to look at is a Canon G12. While the Canon has a flexible viewing screen, the Nikon has a more powerful zoom.

Best - let us know!

Jack

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the advice, I can see what you mean about the wait for the camera to take the pic, but for the moment it's still good fun. Oh by the way i had another stroll around the Junk shops and this time turned up a Olympus OM10, again for £5.00.

The last person to own it had left the batterys in it until they had gone bad, but a good clean up and a new set got it going again.

So have a look at the junk shops near you.

You never know what you can find.

They sometimes have watches as well...................

Tonyh

Thread Information