Just got a Nikon D60 - advice on macro lens?

Thread: Just got a Nikon D60 - advice on macro lens?

Just got a Nikon D60 - advice on macro lens?

Hello all,

I just picked up a D60 and am loving it. I'm still trying to get the hang of it, especially with macro performance. It has the 18-55 VR kit lens.

I'd like to be able to take really impressive macro shots. I found this lens which screws on to the existing Nikon lens like a filter. Reviews and customer pictures seem to be pretty good. I realize that in order to get really tremendous results, I'd want to spend a lot more, but is this worth the money?

http://www.amazon.com/Opteka-Profess.../dp/B001A5K3BK

Thanks
    Simon

WTB - More wrists

Re: Just got a Nikon D60 - advice on macro lens?

Looks like a good gadget and it seems to work. It also seems that you might not have much control of your depth of field, though.

For the price I would go ahead and try it out.
    ...It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live!

Photographers have been using close-up filters forever. This seems like it should be an improved multi lens version, and at $30 the price is right.

Depth of field is always a pain in an extreme close-up; I don't see why this lens would make it worse.

If you've not done so already pick up a tool that lets you play with the colour balance etc of your images on your PC - you can fix a lot of sins this way, especially using gamma correction. (Sounds technical, but just play with it and you'll get the hang of it.) IrfanView is free and easy to use; Gimp is still free, insanely powerful and takes an evening or two to get the hang of. Paint.Net is inbetween. With the last two you can airbrush, "smudge", dodge and burn in images too.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by scuttle View Post
    Photographers have been using close-up filters forever. This seems like it should be an improved multi lens version, and at $30 the price is right.

Depth of field is always a pain in an extreme close-up; I don't see why this lens would make it worse.

If you've not done so already pick up a tool that lets you play with the colour balance etc of your images on your PC - you can fix a lot of sins this way, especially using gamma correction. (Sounds technical, but just play with it and you'll get the hang of it.) IrfanView is free and easy to use; Gimp is still free, insanely powerful and takes an evening or two to get the hang of. Paint.Net is inbetween. With the last two you can airbrush, "smudge", dodge and burn in images too.

There is good old photoshop. i use photoshop 6.0. Not the latest and the greatest but I know it very well.

In terms of DOF (depth of field) cant you just open up the f-stop and get better DOF?

I take a lot of product photography of toys and such. I use a Nikon D40. I usually set my fstop to crazy high f22 to get everything in focus. I imagine that this trick should work for the macro as well. When you use a high fstop the exposure time is really long. so use the built in self timer and a tripod. Or I would get the IR remote. fantastic little gadget. I got it and love it. plus it is only like $15 bucks.

Thank you to all for the replies and info. So much to learn, but I'm looking forward to it.

I think I will end up picking up this macro lens and seeing what I can produce with it - will post results. I appreciate it!
    Simon

WTB - More wrists

i don't think macro lenses are really worth it. the pics don't come out as sharp, and i really do prefer using macro lenses over macro filters. I've tried those filters, and honestly, i would say point and shoot macro functions are better then macro filters.

if anything, i'll sell you my sigma macro lens :)

i recently bought a Tamron 90mm Macro F2.8 for my D90, and I LOVE it...
    here are a couple pictures I took with it..

mind you I was taking these indoors, in OK lighting indoors, and handheld...which is probably why these are the best out of about 25 shots lol..

But definitey, great shots, tack sharp, awesome lens at a great price point.

Only is that its a tad noisier than my other 18-200VR...but the noise doesnt bug me too much...I actually like the sound heh

My Watch Collection to Date - Jan 2008 to Present
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Panerai PAM 220
    Seiko Sumo - Black - SBDC001
    Rolex Deep Sea Sea Dweller
    Halios Tropik SS - Blue Dial/Bezel
    Previous Watches
    Seiko Samurai - Black- SDBA001
    Seiko Monster - Black - on Watchadoo - SKX779K
    Kenzo Nautilus SS
    Benarus Sea Devil - Orange SS
    Rolex 16600 Sea Dweller