Just picked up an EOS Rebel XTi for $70!

Thread: Just picked up an EOS Rebel XTi for $70!

Banned

Just picked up an EOS Rebel XTi for $70!

Hey all,

Just wanted to share my recent purchase with you all.

I was browsing through fleabay for a DSLR (I've never owned one) and noticed that there was one that had been listed within the last 5 minutes, and it was set at $70

I checked it out, and found out that it was functional, but needed an LCD replacement. Since I'm handy with electronics, I looked up the cost and method of replacing the LCD screen. The total would be a whopping $44.

I immediately purchased the camera and the replacement screen.

I'm really excited! I'm a great shot, but haven't had the chance to use an SLR since I broke my father's Minolta about 18 years ago.

Can anyone recommend a good lens? I'm $125 all in on the camera currently, so something 10x the price of the camera body is out of my reach.

Re: Just picked up an EOS Rebel XTi for $70!

If you get everything sorted and working you will have yourself a great camera - I have been happily using my 400d for the last four years and it is still going strong some 75,000 frames later...

As for the lenses, it depends on exactly what you want to do and how much you want to spend, for a few options:
    Canon 18-55mm IS - The kit lens for the newer bodies, get the IS model and you should have a great basic lens for not too much money.
    Canon 15-85mm IS - The 'upgrade' over the kit lens, a larger zoom range and great quality, perfect for general use.

Those two are both 'general use' lenses that are good for most things, if you have a specific subject in mind then there may be better options around - macro lenses for close up work, telephotos if you want to shoot wildlife and so on, but I would definitely say you can't go wrong with either of the above.

Banned
    Thanks for the advice! I was looking at leica and zeiss, but they are WAY overpriced.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

it all depends on what you wanna shoot. Landscape/ travel/ general? I'd look at the 18-135mm EFS. Watches? I would look at the 60mm macro. There are tons of general use and specific use options available, it all depends on how deep you want to go (into your wallet, that is). A couple things to keep in mind: your camera is a APS-C sensor size camera (crop sensor), which means it multiplies the focal length (it's a bit more complicated than this, but will suffice for this post) of whatever lens you have by 1.6. Your 60mm will be effectively a 96mm, which means it will also double as a nice portrait lens. Also, any EF or EFS (short focal length) lens will work. If you ever upgrade to a full-frame camera, the EFS lenses will not work.
    My first DSLR was an XTi, I know that model very well. I've gone through a 40D and now enjoy my 50D.

I look forward to your photography posts!
    Pink Floyd. Dark side of the moon. Side one, track four.
    Gallet Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/GalletChronographs/

Mmmmmm, Leica. They are rather expensive but so cool. DragonDan made a great suggestion re the 18-135mm. A great first lens. If you have a spare 12K hanging about, grab a Leica Noctilux :)

Banned

Thanks guys, I never knew there were so many different types of lenses.

Banned

Got all of the parts in today. Disassembled and replaced the LCD in 20 minutes! Camera is fully functional now, and knowing that I got an $800 kit for less than $200 puts a smile on my face :)

Quote Originally Posted by vserduchka View Post
    Got all of the parts in today. Disassembled and replaced the LCD in 20 minutes! Camera is fully functional now, and knowing that I got an $800 kit for less than $200 puts a smile on my face :)
    as well it should. good job! Leica and Zeiss lenses won't work on the Canon. But you have 3rd party lens makers like Sigma who can save you perhaps a bit of money.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sean779 View Post
    as well it should. good job! Leica and Zeiss lenses won't work on the Canon. But you have 3rd party lens makers like Sigma who can save you perhaps a bit of money.
    Thanks. I'll keep that in mind when I go lens hunting next.

Thread Information