The Lazy Photographer and Polarisers
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By 1afc
  • 1 Post By citjet

Thread: The Lazy Photographer and Polarisers

The Lazy Photographer and Polarisers

Hi All

Not trying to tell anyone how to suck eggs but thought this might be interesting for some.

My progression has been from a Canon 10D (no rude comments please) with all the nice lenses to a series of point and shoots and now I have a Sony RX100 III.

For my type of photography (mainly travel) it is just great.
    I was at a beach location with strong sunlight and I then remembered that I actually carry a polarising filter. Just a cheapie and not circular.

Also camera doesn't have any adapter threads for filters.
    Just remember that you can just hold the filter up to the scene, get the correct orientation that you want and just hold it in front of the lens.

Simple, cheap and effective. I carry mine around in a converted hotel shoeshine shell.

It is the only filter that I carry as I think all the others can be duplicated in software.

Sorry not interetsed in discussing circ vs linear etc just letting you know that there are ways to do things differently.

HTH.
    Gunnar_917 likes this.

Re: The Lazy Photographer and Polarisers

Hahaha I love it.

I still lug my SLR when travelling because there's usually that one shot where nothing else will do (I love doing low light landscapes or waterfalls). I downgraded SLRs to a 100D when I travel as my travels are typically hiking or something else where I need to shed weight but still carry my L series lenses (usually limited to the one either the 24-105 or 16-35). I just carry a circular polariser.

My tripod hack has always been the rocks and use my wallet or something else small to balance/even (if necessary). My 'carry case' is whatever backpack I have and the camera is wrapped in a rain jacket for protection. That's it.

I'm actually not a fan of post production editing so try to get my shots nailed on the camera itself.
    Last edited by Gunnar_917; December 27th, 2015 at 08:08.

Nothing wrong with that what so ever. I use a trick sometimes with my iPhone by shooting a picture through sunglasses. Makes a big difference in some scenes.
    ABud21 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Yes I am a big fan of polarizers. I have both digital and film SLRs and many lenses. I have circular polarizers in many sizes for all my lenses-52, 58, 62, 67, and 77mm. They're good for darkening blue skies, cutting glare on glass, water, paintwork, and foliage. There are some things a polarizer can do that you can't do in post processing. I also have other filters such as soft focus diffusion, colored filters for B&W photography, and neutral density. Long live filters!

I have gotten into photography over the last couple of years and find your comments right on because frankly, the true photography geeks debate the smallest points and differences to the point that intimidates a lot of newly minted hobbyists. It's supposed to be fun, isn't it?

So right on...do what you like. The truth is that the shot is always much more important than the equipment. Some of the best scenes I've captured have been great not because of the composition but because of the subjects. Good tip on the polarizer...it is hard to remember sometimes that the equipment can be used in ways other than exactly intended.

The more I've traveled as a photographer, the more I appreciate things like weight and camera feel. I just picked up a Panasonic G7 and it's got a great feel to it. Just feels natural in my hand. So much better than my old clunky Canon DSLR. Good memories with that camera but glad to be moving on.

I've even shot with a point and shoot lens behind a polarised set of sunglasses.... use whatever you have at your disposal to get the shot!

I'm mostly a Nikon shooter, but last year I decided to pick up the incredible Lumix LX100 - it is one of the BEST compact "enthusiast" cameras out there, with excellent low-light performance. Now that prices for the RX100 III are starting to come down with the release of the IV, I'll probably pick one up as well.

Quote Originally Posted by IronButterfly View Post
    I'm mostly a Nikon shooter, but last year I decided to pick up the incredible Lumix LX100 - it is one of the BEST compact "enthusiast" cameras out there, with excellent low-light performance. Now that prices for the RX100 III are starting to come down with the release of the IV, I'll probably pick one up as well.
    Hi Ironbutterfly - great choice with the LX100. The image quality on smaller cameras is really improving and IMHO for 99% of shots one would not be able to tell the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by 1afc View Post
    Hi Ironbutterfly - great choice with the LX100. The image quality on smaller cameras is really improving and IMHO for 99% of shots one would not be able to tell the difference.
    I'm actually finding that I leave the house with the LX100 more often than I pack the Nikons these days. The only nit-pick I have is that the flash unit (which it comes with) is a separate unit rather than built-in, but at least it is included in the kit when you purchase it, so one isn't needlessly nickel'ed and dimed unlike what other companies like to do these days. I would also have preferred a better system for managing AF. The Leica lens is superb.

Edit: Also, seems like the only way to procure additional batteries for it is through Ebay from the typical Asian sources :)
    Last edited by IronButterfly; January 10th, 2016 at 01:40.

Thread Information