Lens Test Portraits

Thread: Lens Test Portraits

Lens Test Portraits

My FIL gave me an old Canon EF 35-135 USM lens to try. I guess it was produced as a kit lens for Elan film cameras back in the early 90s. It's not fast at f4.0-f5.6, but some old reviews said it was a pretty sharp lens.

Anyway, the little lad was in a good mood and wanted to cooperate so I shot some informal portraits. I don't know bugger all about portrait photography, so keep that in mind.

He was lit in front by a fairly close western facing window and in back by an eastern facing window with medium morning light. I bounced flash off a wall to his right, using manual settings of f8 @ 100 with a Canon 300D. I reckon a reflector on his left would've helped even out the light.

I wish I hadn't cut off his ear, lol, and obviously I didn't bother cleaning him up. I then shot some b&w film with an EOS 3, but bounced the flash a little more evenly. It'll be awhile before I see those results.

I think the lens performed wonderfully on the 300D. The photos are un-altered but for a 1% shadow reduction and sizing.

Cheers,
    Bruce
    Wear what you like.

Re: Lens Test Portraits

I'd say the lens performed very well indeed Bruce! but I think that is merely a tool that helped the talent of the photographer, super nice pictures, as to the ear ? Oh well that was just that shot, you have a lifetime to capture the full ear.

Re: Lens Test Portraits

Quote Originally Posted by SHANE 1000 View Post
    I'd say the lens performed very well indeed Bruce! but I think that is merely a tool that helped the talent of the photographer, super nice pictures, as to the ear ? Oh well that was just that shot, you have a lifetime to capture the full ear.
    Thanks very much Shane!
    Wear what you like.

Thread Information