Looking for some photography help

Thread: Looking for some photography help

Looking for some photography help

Hey guys Im usally in the G-Shock forums but I need some help. I guess in other forums you too have WRUW threads where you post shots of your watch of the day. Id like to participate more in threads like those but my camera wont cooperate with me lol. I have a Nikon Coolpix P1 point and shoot camera, this camera has served me well in the years that Ive owned it. Ive managed to get some great shots from it and hope to do more with it.

The camera does have a macro mode with flash and with out flash, it also has a manual mode. When I try to shoot in macro mode with the flash on I just get a flash bouncing of the crystal of the watch. If I try to shoot with the macro mode with the flash off I usually move the watch slightly and get a blurred photo.

Can someone help me take good looking pictures with my P1, I would really appreciate your help.
    NFW AutoPilot, Steinhart Nav B-Uhr II 44 mm Automatic., Seiko "BFS" SNKF09. Seiko "Spork" SRP043K. Seiko SRP639KI & lots of G-Shocks.

Re: Looking for some photography help

get outside during the day and take a picture of the watch. make sure there is no direct sunlight on the watch or it will glare. make sure the focusing point that lights up when you focus is the one that is on the watch. don't use flash. if you want to take a macro shot indoors, put the camera on the tripod and lay the watch down, don't wear it because you will most likely move your arm and blur the image. use tripod, available light and no flash.

Quote Originally Posted by audphile1 View Post
    get outside during the day and take a picture of the watch. make sure there is no direct sunlight on the watch or it will glare. make sure the focusing point that lights up when you focus is the one that is on the watch. don't use flash. if you want to take a macro shot indoors, put the camera on the tripod and lay the watch down, don't wear it because you will most likely move your arm and blur the image. use tripod, available light and no flash.

Thank you very much for your advice.
    NFW AutoPilot, Steinhart Nav B-Uhr II 44 mm Automatic., Seiko "BFS" SNKF09. Seiko "Spork" SRP043K. Seiko SRP639KI & lots of G-Shocks.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

If you are trying to take photos indoors and under artificial lighting, the problem is that it is just going to be a bit too dark for the camera - you either need to use the flash which will reflect off surfaces, or a long exposure which makes it go blurry.

The easiest solution is to try and pick some more favourable conditions. Try taking a few photos during daytime where you are getting some bright light coming through a window, or even try getting out into the garden or similar (which can give you some nice backgrounds too). That should hopefully get you some much sharper images without using the flash.

If you are stuck indoors at night (with jobs and families and so on it would not exactly be surprising) You could look into better lighting - try taking photos when brightly lit under a desk lamp or similar to try and give the camera some more light to work with, or look into stabilising the watch and camera and keeping them perfectly still for a longer exposure - sit the watch on a solid surface rather than on your (hard to hold perfectly still) wrist, and look into a support of some form for your camera - a small tripod is the ideal option (which are available pretty cheaply for a small tabletop model made for a P&S) or some form of DIY affair propping it on something and using the self timer to stop it wobbling at all during the photo.

Thread Information