Lunchtime Stroll

Thread: Lunchtime Stroll

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lunchtime Stroll

Took a walk over lunch today in effort to practice with my new lens. Here's some shots I'd like to share:

All were shot in RAW / NEF. Post-processing was applied in Aperture.

I'm a little concerned about the sharpness... Please comment and critique so that I may continue to learn.

Thanks,
    Wallace
    For me, every day is a new thing. I approach each project with a new insecurity, almost like the first project I ever did, and I get the sweats. I go in and start working. I'm not sure where I'm going - if I knew where I was going, I wouldn't do it. Frank Gehry

Re: Lunchtime Stroll

#1, black birds need a bit of underexposure to keep it truly black, it looks like you got really close although on my monitor he looks a bit gray.
    It seems you've been doing this long enough to know about shutter speed reciprocal to focal length rule. I think that may have hampered shot #2. Honestly, an exposure like that would challenge any photographer. Did you do that handheld?
    #3 & #4 - beautiful. Wouldn't change a thing (except maybe a tiny bit of overexposure to keep those feathers white).
    #5 with the fowl sitting on the grass, it looks like the focus was on his wing tips. keep an eye on your autofocus, they sometimes have a mind of their own. Was this focus/recompose or did you assign a AF point?
    #6 looks like the aperture was almost wide open, DOF is pretty thin, making his head slightly out of the focal plane. You might try the sports shooters trick of stopping down a notch or two and using the birds feet as the focal point, trusting the increased DOF to keep everything in focus.
    #7 well done on a challenging shot. Sometimes those birds just won't fly close...
    #8 this may also be a DOF thing, as it looks like the front of that post is in focus.
    Overall, the colors are great on them all. My only other suggestion is to vary the compositions to keep things interesting. A few more outings and I think you'll have a really good handle on the capabilities of your new lens. Carry on!
    Pink Floyd. Dark side of the moon. Side one, track four.
    Gallet Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/GalletChronographs/

Thanks for taking the time to comment Dan. I really appreciate your thoughtful reply and analysis

Quote Originally Posted by DragonDan View Post
    #1, black birds need a bit of underexposure to keep it truly black, it looks like you got really close although on my monitor he looks a bit gray.
    It seems you've been doing this long enough to know about shutter speed reciprocal to focal length rule. I think that may have hampered shot #2. Honestly, an exposure like that would challenge any photographer. Did you do that handheld?
    #3 & #4 - beautiful. Wouldn't change a thing (except maybe a tiny bit of overexposure to keep those feathers white).
    #5 with the fowl sitting on the grass, it looks like the focus was on his wing tips. keep an eye on your autofocus, they sometimes have a mind of their own. Was this focus/recompose or did you assign a AF point?
    #6 looks like the aperture was almost wide open, DOF is pretty thin, making his head slightly out of the focal plane. You might try the sports shooters trick of stopping down a notch or two and using the birds feet as the focal point, trusting the increased DOF to keep everything in focus.
    #7 well done on a challenging shot. Sometimes those birds just won't fly close...
    #8 this may also be a DOF thing, as it looks like the front of that post is in focus.
    Overall, the colors are great on them all. My only other suggestion is to vary the compositions to keep things interesting. A few more outings and I think you'll have a really good handle on the capabilities of your new lens. Carry on!
    I'm not sure I know the shutter-speed / focal length recip. relationship, but I think you're saying that at 400mm I should have a shutter-speed of 1/400th minimum. Make sense? Good to know. I'll keep it in mind.

They were all shot hand-held as I forgot to pack the tripod in the car this morning

I shot all in Aperture priority mode; as wide open as the lens would allow. I was trying to get as much light as possible, to keep my shutter-speed high at ISO 200. Great tip on stopping down... I'll give it a try!

Honestly, composition was secondary to testing the "reach" of this lens in this exercise. I wanted to see how close I could get, and what detail I could pull out of the subjects. I'll be working on composition more, once I decide whether I'm keeping the lens / if the lens is suitable for me.

Thanks, again, Dan. I really appreciate it!
    -Wallace
    For me, every day is a new thing. I approach each project with a new insecurity, almost like the first project I ever did, and I get the sweats. I go in and start working. I'm not sure where I'm going - if I knew where I was going, I wouldn't do it. Frank Gehry

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Awesome shots! Dan, very good points!

I would like to add though...
    try to use the center focusing point. I usually compose the shot, lock the exposure, then use center focusing point to focus, quickly recompose and shoot. It may be tough with birds though but with a little bit of practice it doesn't take too long. At least on my SLR, I find the center focusing point to be most reliable. Also, don't be afraid to apply some sharpening. I did a smart sharpen filter with Lens Blur option in CS3 on this image and I think it came out pretty good, just to show as an example...hope you don't mind. Let me know if that's too extreme of a sharpness setting for you. Also, on that particular shot, the bird is a good distance away. You just can't expect the same sort of sharpness and resolution as you would if you zoomed in on the bird closer or were actually physically closer to the bird.

I loved these photos you did though...excellent job!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think they are excellent shots. I just wish I could take shots a good as these. Great job.
    Cheers,
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by audphile1 View Post
    Awesome shots! Dan, very good points!

I would like to add though...
    try to use the center focusing point. I usually compose the shot, lock the exposure, then use center focusing point to focus, quickly recompose and shoot. It may be tough with birds though but with a little bit of practice it doesn't take too long. At least on my SLR, I find the center focusing point to be most reliable. Also, don't be afraid to apply some sharpening. I did a smart sharpen filter with Lens Blur option in CS3 on this image and I think it came out pretty good, just to show as an example...hope you don't mind. Let me know if that's too extreme of a sharpness setting for you. Also, on that particular shot, the bird is a good distance away. You just can't expect the same sort of sharpness and resolution as you would if you zoomed in on the bird closer or were actually physically closer to the bird.

I loved these photos you did though...excellent job!
    Thank you for the comments and advice on technique

I've not had the courage to try to lock exposure, recompose and shoot for fear of missing the capture. That being said (and to Dan's comments about composition) these all used the centre focus point, and were cropped later to enhance composition. I also believe that the centre focus point is the better option with my camera, and try to stay there for wildlife shots (at this point in my learning). It's a work in progress

The sharpening effect you applied was perfect, and the resulting sharpness of the image was just what I was hoping for! Thank you!! I guess I just need to figure out how to do this in Aperture, or break down and buy Photoshop...

Thanks, again, for the help!
    -Wallace

Quote Originally Posted by bazman View Post
    I think they are excellent shots. I just wish I could take shots a good as these. Great job.
    Thanks Barry! FWIW, I think that you take great photos... The photo of your watch at the beach is one of my all-time favourite watch-shots, and very memorable!

Keep shooting,
    -Wallace

Quote Originally Posted by ohmegah View Post

I'm not sure I know the shutter-speed / focal length recip. relationship, but I think you're saying that at 400mm I should have a shutter-speed of 1/400th minimum. Make sense? Good to know. I'll keep it in mind.
    Yup, that is a good rule of thumb to work with, although easier said than done! With your Nikon, I wouldn't be afraid at all to push the ISO to keep shutter speed/ aperture where you want it. I've done shots at ISO 1600 that turned out great. I do 'cheat' and run some through my Nik software Define 2.0. Also, you probably know that most lenses are sharpest when stopped down a bit. Even my EF 17-40 f/4L is sharper at f/5.6 than f/4. At f/8 it's dreamy!

I do know the center AF point on all DSLR's are the most accurate (cross-type). On my 40D, I have a joystick that I can bump with my thumb to assign a different AF point, takes less than a second. I'm sure your camera has something similar. That allows you to focus without recomposing.

Post more shots from your next outing!
    ~D
    Pink Floyd. Dark side of the moon. Side one, track four.
    Gallet Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/GalletChronographs/

Quote Originally Posted by DragonDan View Post
    Yup, that is a good rule of thumb to work with, although easier said than done! With your Nikon, I wouldn't be afraid at all to push the ISO to keep shutter speed/ aperture where you want it. I've done shots at ISO 1600 that turned out great. I do 'cheat' and run some through my Nik software Define 2.0. Also, you probably know that most lenses are sharpest when stopped down a bit. Even my EF 17-40 f/4L is sharper at f/5.6 than f/4. At f/8 it's dreamy!

I do know the center AF point on all DSLR's are the most accurate (cross-type). On my 40D, I have a joystick that I can bump with my thumb to assign a different AF point, takes less than a second. I'm sure your camera has something similar. That allows you to focus without recomposing.

Post more shots from your next outing!
    ~D
    Again, excellent information Dan - thank you.

Most (if not all) of the tid-bits of knowledge you have mentioned, I was not aware of. Thank you very much for bringing it to my attention, and explaining it to me

Stay tuned for more shots, as I continue to learn

Best regards,
    Wallace

These are really great photos! Can I ask what type of camera/lens you are using?

Also, what kind of post-processing are you doing? I am in the process of learning myself as well, and choosing a DSLR.

:thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information