Macro lens for 7D

Thread: Macro lens for 7D

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Macro lens for 7D

I have a new 7D and an assortment of Canon lenses, but when I took pics of my watch collection today, I was disappointed with the results. Someone wanna recommend a dedicated macro lens with a Canon mount?

Re: Macro lens for 7D

I researched this question for several months, and kept coming back to the same answer. Canon 100mm f-2.8 Macro. It does double duty as a fine portrait lens as well. You can usually score one used but in perfect condition on Ebay for about $425 shipped...Tom

Steinhart Ocean 44
    Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean 45mm
    Damasko DC66
    Krieger Afficionado Chronograph
    Ball Fireman Ionosphere
    Stowa Marine Automatic
    Steinhart Ocean GMT Pepsi
    Steinhart Ocean I
    Boschett Cave Dweller II
    Debaufre Nav-B 44mm Unitas Hand Wind
    Zeno Magellano
    JOA Pan Homage 111
    Accutron VX-200
    Alpha GMT
    Chase-Durer Pilot Commander Quartz Chrono
    Invicta Venom
    Deep Blue Juggernaut 1000 Meter Chrono
    LaSalle Quartz
    Seiko Chrono
    Seiko Quartz X 4 and many more...

I had the same dilemma and went with the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS USM Macro. I am very impressed with this lens. I just picked it up and need to start shooting my collection but here are a few sample shots I took:

::The Rotation::
    Rolex GMT Master IIc . IWC Fliegeruhr Mark XVI . Omega Electric Blue Seamaster x2 (his and hers) . Sinn 657 S . UZI Guardian on Velcro Strap . Casio G-Shock G-7800B-1DR + GW-5000 + GW-7900B + GWX-56GB + F91W + DW-6900MS . Benarus Remora Sapphire Bezel . Fossil Maddox Shrouded Lug Diver . Tag Heuer Formula1 Grande Date . Bernardt Binnacle Anchor . Swiss Legend Conqueror . Citizen Signature Perpetual Diver . Timex Military Expedition T498789J

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Awesome shots. I would love to get a macro lens, but I have way too many lenses I want before I get to one, lol.

I'm impressed by the detail, I presume they are the full image, do you have any 100% crops?

i use a sigma 105mm 2.8 EX and im very happy with it. some examples of my sigma macro shots can be seen here https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=355491 and here https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=329495

Quote Originally Posted by 00Photo View Post
    I had the same dilemma and went with the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS USM Macro. I am very impressed with this lens. I just picked it up and need to start shooting my collection but here are a few sample shots I took:

That is an awesome shot 00photo! Great focus there!
    Just curious, how did you light it?

00Photo, what camera are you using? I'm wondering if 100mm might be too long for my 7D. It has a 1.6x crop factor.

Canon also sell a 60mm EFS which is 96mm on cropped. It might be better suited, but the 100mm will show so much more detail :-D

I bought the 60mm f2.8 macro for my 400d and am very happy with it. The biggest difference between it and the 100mm f2.8 is obviously the focal length (I preferred the 60mm fov, as I also use it for portraits and other work where 100mm would be too long) and the fact that the 60mm is EF-s, so will only work on your 7d and other crop sensor bodies.

I think both are well thought of really, so you won't go wrong with either...

I use the old Canon 100mm/f2.8. No regrets, very very sharp lens, excellent for product photography as well as portrait

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information