Macro lens for Canon T1i...

Thread: Macro lens for Canon T1i...

Macro lens for Canon T1i...

Just purchased a rebel T1i witch came with the 18-55mm .I also picked up a 50mm lens. I'm learning (on my own) how to use it properly.I like taking close up shots and need advise as to with macro lens can i get for this camera? Would i find anything under 300$?

Re: Macro lens for Canon T1i...

The 18-55 is a decently capapble lens. I'd suggest going with what you got to start. You didn't mention if you have a shutter release or tripod, these are both essential for macro photography of watches. If you prefer wildlife (bugs, spiders ect.) then you will need a different lens, say a Canon 100mm macro or (what I use) the Sigma 105mm macro. A lot of folks say the Canon 60mm macro is a good deal because you can also use it as a portrait lens on your crop-sensor camera. I got my Sigma on CL for $300.
    Pink Floyd. Dark side of the moon. Side one, track four.
    Gallet Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/GalletChronographs/

If you have a 50 (the f1.8-II?), you should give extension tubes and/or reversal rings a try if you want to experiment with macro. They don't have optics, so you can find cheap ones on ebay in the <$10 range. The real problem with both is that you lose the ability to set aperture if you're using EF/EF-S lenses, so depth of field is going to be extremely limited. I linked to some more information about them in my recent photography article in this forum.

The 60mm EF-S is well-regarded and a true 1x macro lens. But it, the Sigma 105, the Tamron 90, and the Canon 100 are all a fair amount out of your price range.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I have both the inexpensive 50mm f1.8 and the 60mm macro lens and use it on my T2i - the macro lens is a much higher quality and sharper lens overall - the focal range lets you take images just a few inches from the watch itself. Keep in mind that unless you use a tripod and remote shutter (or the timer) you won't be able to hold it steady enough stopped down to get a sharp focus on anything more than a narrow spot on the watch.

My advice - play around with the 18-55mm lens - its a good kit lens and lets you learn how to use this camera. Once you get used to taking all sorts of shots in all sorts of lighting conditions, then think about spending more on lenses if your original lenses are insufficient. But don't go nuts in the beginning or you'll end up with equipment you won't use.
    Lots of dive watches.

Extension tubes and reversal rings will substantially lower the minimum focus distance of lenses. With the 50, it should be able to get magnification close to 1x, though the lens would have to be pretty close. I've owned the 50/1.8-II as well, and it should be more than sharp enough to play around with (it's sharper than my current 50/1.4). Eric L. brings up a good point about the utility of support; an alternative to mounting the camera on a tripod is to simply use stronger light. It might take some steady hands to keep the narrow band of focus on your target, but otherwise things will be fine if you keep shutter speeds high.

I use the 60mm Macro with the Xsi, I love the lens. I think I got it for $400 a while back.

My Collection --> Click Here

I use both Canon 50mm 1.8 with macro rings (soligor) and the Canon 100mm macro lens. The 100mm is much easier to use and the IQ is better, but the 50mm 1.8 with macro rings also performs good and is much cheaper!

Some examples with the 50mm:

Omega Seamaster Proplof 1200M 224.32.55.21.01.002 by dimervansanten, on Flickr

Omega DeVille 'Hour Vision' Annual Calendar 431.33.41.22.06.001 by dimervansanten, on Flickr

IWC Calibre 98300 IW325405 by dimervansanten, on Flickr
    - IWC Ingenieur Automatic IW3227-01
    - Omega Speedmaster Mitsukoshi
    - Casio G-Shock G8900DGK-7 DGK
    - Casio G-Shock GW-7900RD-4JF

Shortlist
    - Panerai Radiomir 1940 PAM512

Thread Information