Macro lens for Nikon D90?
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Macro lens for Nikon D90?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Macro lens for Nikon D90?

Hi, can you guys give me some advice as to which Macro lens to buy to photograph watches? I have a NikonD90. I was considering the Tamron SP AF60mm 1:1 or the 90mm version. Any other lenses you have in mind would be great, thanks!
    “Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.”
    Steve McQueen

Re: Macro lens for Nikon D90?

I'm a Canon guy, so I can't help with specifics, although here are some thoughts. I use a Sigma 105 macro for my watch work, and that seems to be a good focal length. If your camera is a crop-sensor (APSC-sized) like mine, you might consider going with a 60mm, because with the smaller field of view it becomes a 78mm, which is close to a 85mm. That's a great focal length for portraits. I own Sigma (30mm & 105mm) and Tamron (11-16mm) lenses. I've no hesitation in using these as they have adequate image quality.
    Pink Floyd. Dark side of the moon. Side one, track four.
    Gallet Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/GalletChronographs/

Quote Originally Posted by saab View Post
    Hi, can you guys give me some advice as to which Macro lens to buy to photograph watches? I have a NikonD90. I was considering the Tamron SP AF60mm 1:1 or the 90mm version. Any other lenses you have in mind would be great, thanks!
    Do you use old Nikkor Manual Focus lenses - if not try them

The old Nikkor 55mm f3.5 AI - it is a manual focus lens with great optics and you should be able to pick a good one up for less than $100

search the web and look at the comments - I an an "old" shooter and have used one for year and it produces great images when used on my D300

If you need AF that's another story but with Macros you usually have plenty of time to focus and frame - and probably use a tripod - so MF is easy

Good luck
    Last edited by BillN; November 7th, 2011 at 14:24.
    strongblackcoffee likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Great suggestions, many thanks!
    “Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.”
    Steve McQueen

If you havn't purchased anything yet and you are on a budget you could take a look at the the new Nikon DX format AFS 2.8 40mm. It's a standard focal length lens and it's plastic but it takes great close ups. Really good for watches and best of all, it's only about $240-$260 brand new. I've had good luck so far with this lens.
    Only a loafer can always tell you what the correct time is.

another consideration in lenses is how far you think you will go with your photography hobby. In my case I started out with a Nikon D80 body (which is DX) but I only bought FX lenses although they were more expensive. My thinking was that I would eventually graduate to an FX camera and the FX lenses would migrate much better than the DX. I now have a D700 body and am glad. Not sure what your budget is but the Nikon 105mm is a great macro lens!

Quote Originally Posted by DragonDan View Post
    If your camera is a crop-sensor (APSC-sized) like mine, you might consider going with a 60mm, because with the smaller field of view it becomes a 78mm, which is close to a 85mm. That's a great focal length for portraits. I own Sigma (30mm & 105mm) and Tamron (11-16mm) lenses. I've no hesitation in using these as they have adequate image quality.
    The small sensor is great for shooting telephoto, but for portraits and macro, you're constrained to still having to use "traditional" focal lengths if you want to preserve the classical look of a 105mm lens. Even though it's a cropped sensor, you don't get the change in perspective according to the perceived focal length change. If you shoot with a 60 on a full frame and crop it down, it's the same shot as on a small sensor with the same 60mm lens, not the perspective of a 90mm lens.

I believe that with your D90, you will have to get an AF lens to get full matrix metering (or something like that). My father has a 90mm Sigma or Tokina macro lens (I'll have to verify with him), but he's got some fantastic shots. I use an OLD vivitar manual focus 100mm macro lens from the early 80s that I've shot on my film gear (F3, F100, FM2, etc.) and I've continued to use it after switching to digital (D200, now a D700). Unlike a lot of applications, true macro lenses tend to be super sharp regardless of the manufacturer whereas a lot of the "standard" zoom glass is soft when you start looking at 3rd party brands.

Also keep in mind that if you want to shoot with higher amounts of magnification a longer focal length will give you greater working distance from the front element of your lens to the subject. This is a factor when working with skittish subjects and it also becomes important when trying to light a subject. If you want to shoot really close up with a shorter focal length, often your subject will be so close to the lens that it ends up in the shadow of the camera.

There are ways to get fairly close with a standard lens - most zooms have a "macro mode" or you can get some close up filters. For close up filters, it's worth spending the extra cash for the multi-element versions (I think Canon still makes then, Nikon hasn't for a long time). Your D90 will have enough resolution that you will be able to crop your image as well. If you want to get really close up, there's really no substitute for a macro lens, but remember that your image is only as good as the light on your subject. Also, make sure you've got a good, stable tripod setup!

Good luck with your shooting!

-heebs
    Last edited by heebs; November 13th, 2011 at 08:53. Reason: added a bit of info

Nikon AF-S 105mm f/2.8 VR Micro-NIKKOR would be your best choice. I am using it on the D90 without any disappointed.

Name:  D3S_9533-600.jpg
Views: 2267
Size:  59.2 KB

I'd suggest the Sigma 150mm EX (non-OS) lens. I have a D90 as well and choose the Sigma as my macro for a couple of reasons. It is absolutely TACK sharp (even wide open). It's also reasonably fast and makes a nice medium telephoto lens (I do some nature photography as well). Finally, as a macro, it allows you to have some distance from your subject (very helpful for shooting insects or butterflies, etc.). Check out this review of the lens: Sigma Lens: Primes - Sigma 150mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM APO Macro (Tested) - SLRgear.com!

It runs about 500 lightly used or around 7 for a new copy.

-- Bill

I came here to post the same question for my Canon T1i but these answers have pointed me in right direction. Thanks for the help guys...

RS

Follow Me

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast