Macro Lense Recommendation

Thread: Macro Lense Recommendation

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Macro Lense Recommendation

I have a Nikon D80 with its kits lense that can only go so far on macro pics I've come to realize.

Wanted to know if the hive mind has any recommendations on a good macro lense for watch pics? One friend has recommended to not go below 90-100 mm? and get a Tamron SP 90mm f/2.8 Di Macro Lens

Another buddy uses a 105mm 2.8 Nikon but recommended for the D80a cheaper Nikon 60mm 2.8?

Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated
    Best
    P

Re: Macro Lense Recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by shepcs View Post
    I have a Nikon D80 with its kits lense that can only go so far on macro pics I've come to realize.

Wanted to know if the hive mind has any recommendations on a good macro lense for watch pics? One friend has recommended to not go below 90-100 mm? and get a Tamron SP 90mm f/2.8 Di Macro Lens

Another buddy uses a 105mm 2.8 Nikon but recommended for the D80a cheaper Nikon 60mm 2.8?

Best
    P
    Take the 60mm f/2.8 D. Just perfect.

I do use the Nikon "Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8 D" on my D100. With the 60mm focal length you get the film camera equivalent of 90mm - and that's plain perfect for macro work, as short portrait tele(*) and as superb short tele on city excursions. 90mm or 105mm on a "normal" DSLR is too long for my taste (but perfect on a film SLR or "fullframe" DSLR).

As you ask for macro - here an example shot with that lens:

(*)105mm as portrait lens on a DSLR is for the shy guys who don't want to get too close to their models.

Quote Originally Posted by shepcs View Post

Best
    P
    The answer depends...

Do you plan on upgrading to a FX body? If so, I'd get the 105. That was my strategy. I plan on moving up to a FX body in the next few years, so my lens purchases are based on that premise.

I agree with Mark that the 60 is plenty for a DX body, and is fine for macro-work on still-life subjects. However, if your subjects are of the stinging / biting variety, the 105 is nice

They both make a great portrait lens. I knew that I'd be adding a 50mm prime lens to my kit, so I went for the 105 macro.

Both are great for image quality. Your choice depends on what you want to do with the lens and what lenses and / or bodies you plan on adding in the future.

Best of luck, in whatever you choose.
    -Wallace
    For me, every day is a new thing. I approach each project with a new insecurity, almost like the first project I ever did, and I get the sweats. I go in and start working. I'm not sure where I'm going - if I knew where I was going, I wouldn't do it. Frank Gehry

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I went to the local shop to look at macro lenses, thinking I was going to have to decide between the Nikon 60 and 105. I ended up with the new Tamron 60/f2. I've really had a lot of fun with this lens and think it's ideal for watches.

This was taken on a plane with just available light from a window:

"Deeds, not words, shall speak me." - John Fletcher

I will admit to shooting Canon rather than Nikon, but I use a 60mm f2.8 macro.

For me it works out perfectly, I have a good working distance for things like watches or other still life subjects like flowers, and 60mm doubles up as a great portrait length lens on a crop sensor camera.

The one big question I would ask is what else do you intend to shoot with it? For solely still life you can generally get as close as you want, so the shorter lens works out well. If you intend shooting subjects like bugs though, they will often be scared off if you get too close, so a longer lens like a 105mm gives you a bit more working distance between you and your subject. Great for a bug, but for a shot of a full watch means you do need a larger camera to subject distance and all the faff that goes with that if you don't have unlimited space to set up in. In reality either will work fine for watches, so I would base it off whether you also want a portrait length lens, or something for macro with larger working distances like bugs.

Gents many thanks for the advice. Really helped me out.

I'm primarily after watches and some versatility so it sounds like 60 mm would be best for me.

Thank you all very much!!

Dre

Another recommendation for the 60mm Nikon Micro lens. For watches working distance isn't a huge issue, it's not like the watch will run away from you! It's crazy sharp, and not that terribly expensive.

If you're looking to keep costs super low, you can pick up one of the older manual focus 55mm micro's (either f2.8 or f3.5). No metering on your D80 (nor on my D90), but if it's too light / dark, adjust the exposure & take another pic. My 55 f3.5 cost me $60 and produces great pics such as these:

Alternatively you could look at a set of close-up rings. These rings sit between the lens and the camera body - not optics. They are just spacers.

These will deliver exactly the same quality as a macro lens - provided both lenses are of comparably quality to start with. What makes a macro lense a macro lens is and extra long travel for focusing - which moves the lens away from the film plane - which is exacly what the close-up rings do.

I shot the image below with a 80-200 F2.8 non-macro lens with a 27.5mm extension ring. One of the advantages of extensions rings is that you can use them will all your lenses.

I believe if you want to retain autofocus then you will need to look for 3rd party rings as the Nikon offerings are manual focus only. In reality this is of little concern as for macro work autofocus is usually not helpful.

Watch Photos: http://s884.photobucket.com/home/PhotoBuff0/index

Current Stable

Seiko Orange Monster SKX781K1
    Seiko Orange Samurai TI SBDA005
    Seiko Orange Sport Diver 6106-7107
    Orient Orange Mako
    Hamilton Khaki Aviation QNE
    Seiko M55 Sea Lion Date 6206-9000
    Seiko M77 Sea Lion Date 8305-1000 (needs balance wheel)
    Bulova 98C62 Marine Star Diver
    Oris XXL Regulator
    Schaumburg Watch - Lindburgh & Benson - Ellomatic #1 Chronograph
    Croton Chronomaster Aviator Sea Diver (Valjoux 23)
    Omega Seamaster GMT 2234.50
    Longines Master Collection Retrograde L2.716.4

I'm happy with the Nikon 18-55 VR - the cheapest

Another vote for the Nikon 60mm, love this lens! With that said, I`ve heard nothing but good things about the Tamron 90mm.
    Some samples done with the Nikon D90 and the 60mm

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information