More Pics of my Omegas & friends

Thread: More Pics of my Omegas & friends

More Pics of my Omegas & friends

Well, did some more practice tonight. Got a background and snapped some more pics. Let me know what you think.

Russ

Banned

Re: More Pics of my Omegas & friends

Nice pictures! Is that a Type-R knob with the Seiko? It's been years since I had my Honda, but I had the Type-R with a B&M short shifter.

Quote Originally Posted by Torrid View Post
    Nice pictures! Is that a Type-R knob with the Seiko? It's been years since I had my Honda, but I had the Type-R with a B&M short shifter.
    Yes Sir! From a DC2 Integra TypeR. One of, if not, my favorite cars.

Russ

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Love the shift knob, very nice.

Trying my hand at a bit of constructive criticism (if you don't mind...)

It appears the first two are out of focus. Either misfocus or not enough DOF, or both! Use a narrower aperture.. I'd stop down to f/11 or even f/16, depending on your sensor size (DOF is more important than avoiding softness due to diffraction in my option).

Oh, and your white balance might be off. You know most interiors of camera bags are gray for a reason. Use that to set custom white balance under your lightbox and you'll be good to go!

Great shots though, I hope I wasn't out of line with my comments.

Please, all comments and criticism welcome. As this was only my second time photographing my watches and using my new D60 and I guess really trying to take "art" photography, I still have no idea what I'm doing haha. kai-wun, you are the second person to comment on my white balance setting. I guess I havent figured that out yet but I am trying. I dont think my camera bag will fit inside my light box to set the white balance. Any other suggestions? I believe they sell cards specifically for this, yes?
    As far as the focus, as I am just building my camera equipment arsenal, I am still working without a tripod. Maybe this is the cause, a little camera shake? I was stopped to decrease the DOF a little, but maybe I over did it.
    Thanks for the positive comments but especially for the criticism. I believe that is the only way to learn!

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by kai-wun View Post
    Love the shift knob, very nice.

Trying my hand at a bit of constructive criticism (if you don't mind...)

It appears the first two are out of focus. Either misfocus or not enough DOF, or both! Use a narrower aperture.. I'd stop down to f/11 or even f/16, depending on your sensor size (DOF is more important than avoiding softness due to diffraction in my option).

Oh, and your white balance might be off. You know most interiors of camera bags are gray for a reason. Use that to set custom white balance under your lightbox and you'll be good to go!

Great shots though, I hope I wasn't out of line with my comments.

Russ

Great shots! Nearly professional. Here are a couple of tips; I take studio product photos for a semi-living....

Looks like your camera has a good macro (close-up) capability. But the closer you get, the more critical the depth of field becomes. In other words, at close focus, at, say, f8, only a very small depth will be in focus at the focus point. The aperture, or f-stop, must be increased.

But this has a side effect - a higher numerical f-stop (which is, paradoxically, a smaller aperture), lets in less light, so the length of the exposure must increase to make up for it.

If your camera is full auto, you may not be able to adjust the aperture and shutter speed independently.

But you're pretty close in these photos - it's hard to judge the exact focus area sometimes at close macro ranges, but try focusing on the closest point, then setting the f-stop to something like f18 or higher. The exposure time in the lighting above may be more than a second, so you'll definitely need a tripod and hold your breath!

Also, it's best to keep the watch face as parallel to the lens or focal plane on the camera, because the focus is so critical with macro shots, as described above. This will help ensure as much as possible will be in the focus range.

So bottom line: keep the watch flat to the camera; highest f-stop you can set to keep the watch face in focus and blur the background (too high of an f-stop may put too much in focus); and use a tripod.

Re. the white balance - your camera should have a manual white balance setting. All you need is a piece of white paper. Put the camera in manual WB (read the manual) and put the white paper in the same exact light where you're going to take the photo. Usually then all you do is squeeze the shutter release and the camera will do some thinking and come up with the correct adjustment for color.

Or, your camera should have various white balance settings, and you can try them to see what works best.

By the way, it always helps to tell what kind of camera, lights, etc. you have used with any photos, this helps others help you!

Good luck, I hope this very brief and crude explanation helps. Do some Google searching for "macro photography" or "white balance" or even "watch photography". Keep 'em coming, they're very nice shots and just a bit of tweaking will make you a "pro" watch photographer!

Sodiac
    Too many watches, only two wrists and never enough time...

Thread Information