Mountain shots from hiking trip with Suunto Vector

Thread: Mountain shots from hiking trip with Suunto Vector

Mountain shots from hiking trip with Suunto Vector

About the pics:

All were shot with my Canon XSi and a nifty-fifty 1.8 el-cheapo lens. PP = some Levels adjusting and some sharpening.

About the trip:

A few weeks ago some friends and I went camping. Our original plan was quashed by weather, and we ended up missing our original goal. So, we decided to go back yesterday and do what we had missed as a single day trip instead of a 3 day trip.

We did Northover Ridge in Peterlougheed Provincial Park in Alberta Canada. The entire trip we did yesterday was 35k. It took us almost 13 hours, with plenty of breaks for food and photography. It was spectactular, despite the snow/sleet storm that hit us as we were on Northover ridge itself.

The ridge, by the way, is no wider than half a meter for a good stretch. Very disconcerting trying to walk along that in 80kph winds and sleet stinging your face.

Anyway, my Vector was handy on a couple of occasions. First, the dropping barometer told us to be on the look-out for changing weather (which it did!). Second, the calibrated altimeter along with the topo map helped us choose the right path to get to the ridge and helped us avoid a long and potentially dangerous scramble to nowhere good.

Sadly, I forgot to take any wrist shots of my Vector, but here's some nice scenery to compensate. Enjoy!

This is looking back from whence we came at Upper Kananaskis Lake.

This is out of focus, but it's some sea-life fossils (2200m above sea level):

skipping some of the trip, this is us finally heading up to Northover ridge (almost):

These are the Northover tarns (a small mountain lake) as seen from the path approaching the ridge proper. British Columbia is in the background (we started in Alberta; the park straddles both provinces). Yes, that's snow!

This is looking back along the ridge at Mount Joffre (with the snow) and Warrior Mountain:

This is the Northover glacier (I believe).

This is Mount Northover itself. Climable, but we didn't have the time (or energy):

This is a shot of the ridge line itself. You can see in the distance how narrow the ridge starts to get:

As we neared the end, a storm was seen to be coming our way. Here's my friend Jim contemplating it and wondering if we could escape the ridge before it struck:

Behind us, and the storm, was Three Isle Lake, our destination after descending the ridge. We didn't quite escape the storm, but made it off the ridge before it could blow us off:

Another shot of Three Isle and the mountains in the background. Three Isle itself is several hundred meters above our starting point. In all we climbed well over 1km of vertical (not including all the ups and downs along the way).

Thanks for looking, and I hope I didn't destroy any modems.
    Last edited by Statius; September 8th, 2009 at 01:34.
    Labitur occulte fallitque volatilis aetas, et nihil est annis velocius. Ovid Met. 10.519-20.

Re: Mountain shots from hiking trip with Suunto Vector

Great photos of some really breathtaking scenery! That must've been quite a trip. Well done and thanks for sharing.

Great photos, wonderful colors. How bad a storm blew in?

Konrad.

"Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions."

-- GK Chesterton

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Konrad View Post
    Great photos, wonderful colors. How bad a storm blew in?

Konrad.
    The storm was pretty gnarly. It was some hared driving sleet/frozen rain. What made it really bad was the driving wind of 80kph or so; it really hurt as it pelted our faces and made it hard to concentrate on where to put our feet, etc. as we negotiated the ridge.
    Labitur occulte fallitque volatilis aetas, et nihil est annis velocius. Ovid Met. 10.519-20.

Terrific pics. Could have been better if there was a shot of the watch.

Laughing Re: Mountain shots from hiking trip with Suunto Vector

that is beautiful ..

Amazing shots! Just beautifulle

Awesome shot! Thanks for posting!

Quote Originally Posted by Statius View Post
    The storm was pretty gnarly. It was some hared driving sleet/frozen rain. What made it really bad was the driving wind of 80kph or so; it really hurt as it pelted our faces and made it hard to concentrate on where to put our feet, etc. as we negotiated the ridge.
    Thanks. I saw the frozen spray and the ceiling lowering and I wonder how fast the weather moved in and how bad it got for you.

Great images, and better memories!

K.

"Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions."

-- GK Chesterton

Thread Information