My first ever camera- Nikon's D5100

Thread: My first ever camera- Nikon's D5100

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned

My first ever camera- Nikon's D5100

Hi all
    After a lot of time spent online and fretting about this purchase, I eventually plumped for the Nikon D5100 with the std 18-55 VR lens, which I got from Sundan for 5,400rmb, about 230GBP under the UK price. Included in the price were a half-way decent Nikon branded bag with lots of padding, a 4 Gb card, body and lens cover and a full-sized tripod with it's own bag. With the Sony eqpt, you even have to buy your own memory card. I'm certain there is no better image quality to be had for under 7,500 yuan. The image style of the EOS range, while very impressive, seemed a tad harsh after the initial wow-factor had worn off, especially comared to the 90D shots, which only seemed to emphasise the 600D's "trying too hard". The A580/A55/A35 were also in contention, but the naturalness, rich detail and soft break-up under stress of the Nikon suited me best. The A580 imaging is too soft and the screen a joke. The A35 is compelling, but can't compete with the D5100 in noise-levels and seemed to have a very fussy focus. The D5100 has the sensor and processor of the considerably more expensive D7000. The only gripes the experienced reviewers seemed to have with it was a lack of a dedicated ISO button and remote flash connectivity.
    I'm waiting for the battery to fully charge, then thinking of some shots of my few, inexpensive watches, but one thing I have noticed is....my apartment looks terrible!
    Thanks for all the advice from the members who contributed to my previous darkroom thread. I hope to post some shots soon and spend some very enjoyable hours out and about it Suzhou. Now. Lenses.........
    Last edited by Scottish Steve; October 28th, 2011 at 14:56.

Re: My first ever camera- Nikon's D5100

congrats on the purchase! hope to see some photos of suzhou soon!
    it's been more than 10 years since i was there so i bet plenty has changed!

I starte with the 5000 then upgraded to the 5100. It is a great camera and has a lot of cool functions like in camera editing. Pics are great too. And you can use a remote flash with it. My only complaint is, and could be user error, mine constantly comes out of continuous shutter and goes to single snap shutter whenever I turn it off. Annoying. And the shutter cycle is a little slower than my 5000 was so I have to wait a little longer to take a second shot. Again could just be I don't know how to use it properly. Hahaha. Enjoy it, you'll love it. Get a macro lens too so you can take awesome watch pics. My lens was actually more expensive than the camera! Enjoy and look forward to the shots

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

I bet Suzhou has changed! SIP is now as big as Shanghai in area and the whole of Gan Jiang (dong) Lu is in uproar due to their installing the new subway system, which hasn't gone online yet. It'll run from the amusement park in SND to well beyond Jinji Lake. I just hope they've modelled it on Shanghai's system as that's pretty darn good. Today's overcast and drizzly, so I don't know how many keepers I'll get. I intend to be ruthless when it comes to kulling shots. I'm not going to have an SD card full of bad pictures.

Good to hear you found a camera you like. It will take plenty of practice before you feel confident enough to start taking photos in the full manual mode. Once you get into shooting RAW, you will find you have far more control over the final image, instead of having the camera decide what parameters to use.
    There are lots of very good photographers on this forum, if you run into something odd, feel free to ask questions. We were all newbies at one time.

~D
    Pink Floyd. Dark side of the moon. Side one, track four.
    Gallet Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/GalletChronographs/

Banned

shots coming. connection too slow at first attempt
    Last edited by Scottish Steve; November 5th, 2011 at 06:10.

I've got the same kit and a few more lenses. If you want to spend an addtional couple of hundred bucks and like watch/close up photography, I recommend the new Nikon AFS-DX 40mm 2.8 lens. Great value for the money.
    Only a loafer can always tell you what the correct time is.

Banned

Ok here goes
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned

i don't know what happened to the first two shots but they have been distorted by the compression process- they actually look crystal clear up to 50% crop on my monitor from my PC file, then there's a little noise at 100%- nothing like what's on this thread. Any advice on this?

Banned

I'll see if the originals work better. No Upload failed 5 times, but WUS will let me post a picture of a granny and baby!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information