Need camera recommendation for watch shots

Thread: Need camera recommendation for watch shots

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need camera recommendation for watch shots

Can anyone recommend the lowest cost camera I can purchase which will allow excellent pictures of watches in detail and up close? My current camera is not doing it for me...
    Tannicmonster

Breitling Chronomat B01
    Breitling Navitimer World
    Breitling Superocean Heritage 46
    Breitling Avenger Seawolf
    Chopard Mille Miglia Gran Turismo XL Chrono
    Panerai PAM 111
    Hamilton Khaki Sunset
    Glycine Combat Automatic 44

Re: Need camera recommendation for watch shots

Quote Originally Posted by Tannicmonster View Post
    Can anyone recommend the lowest cost camera I can purchase which will allow excellent pictures of watches in detail and up close? My current camera is not doing it for me...
    Which is your current camera and what is it about it that is not doing it for you?

It's usually not the camera, it's the lighting. Even cheap cameras will be fine as long as you have good lighting, a tripod, and some patience.

I use a canon xt dslr, mostly.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'm not a WIS (thank God!), so you can take this "advice" with however many grains of salt you wish, but....

Is there anything else you would want to take pictures of? What's your budget? What's your photography experience? Do you want a point-and-shoot, or a DSLR?

I would think that your other uses might be more important in the purchase of a camera than its ability to take pictures of watches (and I do agree that the quality of the camera has little to do with the quality of a watch-picture, compared to the quality of the lighting, and holding the camera still (either with a tripod or a very fast shutter speed).
    Mark
    ---------------------------
    Seiko Spring Drive Chronograph SPS003
    Oris TT1 Titan Diver Chronograph 1000M

IWC Portuguese Chronograph 3714-01
    Grand Seiko Spring Drive GMT SBGE001

how close do you want to get? and your budget

this was taken with a 100mm macro lens

Quote Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
    Which is your current camera and what is it about it that is not doing it for you?
    My camera is a Casio Exilim 7.2 mega pixel. It is very frustrating...I can't figure out how to turn the flash off which screws up the pics, and it seem the pictures up close are blurry. And, if I try to get super close it is impossible due to the blurriness...
    Tannicmonster

Breitling Chronomat B01
    Breitling Navitimer World
    Breitling Superocean Heritage 46
    Breitling Avenger Seawolf
    Chopard Mille Miglia Gran Turismo XL Chrono
    Panerai PAM 111
    Hamilton Khaki Sunset
    Glycine Combat Automatic 44

Hope this doesn't sound harsh: read the manual. That'll tell you how to kill the flash and enable Macro mode. I've not come across a P&S camera without one so far, so it's a good bet yours has it. Flash (unless they're stupid-expensive dedicated ring flashes and the like) and macro photography are not a good mix.

Macro mode allows the camera to focus at very short distances. Usually, without that your camera will not focus short of about a foot-and-a-half.

Decent ambient light, tripod (or a bag of pinto beans) and even the self-timer will be your friends while doing this type of work. Do some experimenting and get back to us with the questions that will certainly arise - we'll help.
    Pink Floyd. Dark side of the moon. Side one, track four.
    Gallet Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/GalletChronographs/

Some pocket cameras don't allow you to get the photo done manually. Photographing watches can be quite tricky if you're in auto modes. I highly recommend you to get a pocket camera that has manual settings or a DSLR with a dedicated macro lens for more serious work.

Canon PowerShot S95 or Canon PowerShot G12 are very good pocket cameras with manual control. G12 allows you to mount an external flash using its hot-shoe.

One piece of advice: NEVER use on-camera flash. You'll blown all the details of the watch. Use ambient light only or with off-camera flash.

These are some watch photos that i took with a DSLR + macro lens and off-camera flashes (some using 1, others 2)

Lens & Lighting are much more important the camera body. I use a Nikon D40 (about $399) with a 100mm macro lense and off camera flash with a softbox

Had a G9...........You can place the outside edge of the lens on the thing you are photographing and it will focus........Amazing camera/AF system. I always use natural light or make my own little lightbox with printer paper.........Off the camera flash is the only way to go.........

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information