New Camera OT

Thread: New Camera OT

Off topic New Camera OT

Well, it's time for me to step up to the plate with you big boys and get a real camera. What camera do most of you use for shooting those wonderful pics of your watches. I am contemplating the Canon Digital Rebel XT. What are your thoughts on this camera? I don't want to spend over $1000 USD initially.

Todd

EJC

Re: New Camera OT

Quote Originally Posted by brokerrookie
    Well, it's time for me to step up to the plate with you big boys and get a real camera. What camera do most of you use for shooting those wonderful pics of your watches. I am contemplating the Canon Digital Rebel XT. What are your thoughts on this camera? I don't want to spend over $1000 USD initially.

Todd
    I use an older Rebel 6mp, and love it. I had a Canon system before so i was able to continue using my lenses.
    Obviously it is a big brute, so if you don't mind hauling around a large SLR any one of the interchangeable lens cameras should be great, since a number of companies now make them in a reasonable price range.

I figure if I want to use a smaller camera for quick snaps I can steal my wifes' or kids cameras.
    Elliot
    "It's 5 O'Clock somewhere!"

Pil-Mil, Breitling Forum Moderator O2AFAC67's Avatar

Exclamation Hi, Todd. You hit the nail on the head!

That is the camera my wife gave to me last Christmas and it is the camera, not me, responsible for some of my very best photos. I love it. The price is right in there at your initial investment level. It comes with a standard 18-55mm lens and that is the only one I have for it. You could spend a LOT more for a good macro lens later if you like but the kit lens has been more than sufficient for my amateur photography. I did purchase a USB compatible compact flash card reader and a 1GB memory card for the camera. VERY easy to use file manager (windows explorer) and quickly offload pics (drag & drop) from the card to your PC. I have all the Canon software that came with the camera but I uninstalled it because I never use it. A sturdy tri-pod is a must for watch photography and one can be found at a reasonable price.

I wrote an email to Cinq earlier today telling him he would laugh at how simple (and cheap) my "photo studio" happens to be. Just an old watch winder box with a side removed. I place various backgrounds (colored napkins, black book covers, etc.) and bottoms in the box and I taped white paper on the left and right insides. The top is open of course. I "pose" the watch with various items and then set the camera up with natural sunlight from behind (a large patio door window) and I hold up an old white t-shirt behind the camera to diffuse the light and eliminate glare on the watches. I use no flash, automatic exposure and focus, auto shutter (ten second delay) and I hit the button! The only thing I changed on the camera menu was to lower the ISO to 100 from the default 400 (whatever that means. LOL.). Even though I have Photoshop 7 software on my PC, I am not familiar enough with it to start layering and adjusting pics yet. Instead, I use two FREE packages which have been terrific. First I use Picassa2 for cropping, color, contrast, brightness, saturation adjustments then I use Irfanview to resize and sharpen the pics. I know it's a clumsy process compared to the one used by good photographers on the forum but it has been working ok for me after I figured out an optimum way to edit. Anyway, IMHO you will be very happy with that camera if you choose to get it. Let me know if I can help when you're ready to shoot.
    Cheers,
    Ron

" The Sailor Who Fell From Grace With The Sea "

Click to view: 500px Photo Gallery or... Breitling Pics Slideshow

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Todd

The 350 is a remarkable camera.

You cannot go wrong in my humble opinion. I spent LOADS on a 1d MKIIn...ok its a pro camera and I am learning it still, but the 350 is very very good. Allow me to post a few pics I've taken with it.

Davey[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Hi, Todd. Here is a link to a review for you...

Quote Originally Posted by davey vermaak
    The 350 is a remarkable camera. You cannot go wrong IMHO.
    which tells you the 350D and the Rebel XT are one and the same. http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ca...ew/index.shtml BTW, that first photo of Davey's is a self portrait and the last one is actually my watch, not his. :-D
    Cheers,
    Ron

Done deal. Camera should be here in a few days. I ordered it with the stock 18-55 lens. This should be enough for an amateur. But I am sure this won't be the end of it. $608 after Canon rebate. I thought this was a great price.

Todd

Great deal Todd. About $400 less than...

Done deal. Camera should be here in a few days. I ordered it with the stock 18-55 lens. This should be enough for an amateur. But I am sure this won't be the end of it. $608 after Canon rebate. I thought this was a great price.
    what my wife paid for mine last December. A word of caution... If your discount includes a rebate from Canon, make absolutely certain you make copies of ALL your paperwork, follow the directions to the letter, and check their website for status of your rebate. As always with a rebate, I was extremely diligent with the exception of not making a copy of the original box UPC code which I sent in as required. Even a phone call and offer to send another copy of the receipt did no good for me. I feel like Canon hosed me on the $100 rebate. O| Made me think twice about buying any of their lenses. I'll go elsewhere for a Macro lens when I'm ready. Have fun with it and try not to be discouraged by the manual. Use the quick use guide instead. Much faster and besides, you need a PHD in camera optics to understand all the instructions. :-S :-D Have fun!
    Cheers,
    Ron

Re: Great deal Todd. About $400 less than...

If you have a backlog inventory of lenses from film days, and they happen to fit a modern DSLR, then that would be the way to go.

Otherwise, you can do very well with the higher end EVF fixed lens digital cameras.

Just picked up a Sony R1 and am having lots of fun with it a lens you'd have to pay an extra $1,000 for on the Canon or Nikons.

Thread Information