New Camera Purchase

Thread: New Camera Purchase

New Camera Purchase

So I sucked it up and went to bestbuy to get a camera yesterday. Up until now all I have been using is my crappy iphone. I picked up a Nikon coolpix S550. It has 10 megapixels, and all of the other bells a whistles. I'm going to have to spend some time on this forum to figure out how to use it!
    Current:
    Breitling Avenger Seawolf
    Vintage Girard-Perregaux Sea Hawk

Past:
    Panerai PAM 00114
    Omega Planet Ocean 45.5
    Breitling Headwind
    Omega Speedmaster
    Omega SMP 2254

Re: New Camera Purchase

hi ya ive been doing photography for a long time now 10 years or so and the best way to learn with a new camera is to just get out there and take pictures and try to do as little on photoshop as possible, try to get you picture right first time in the camera so you dont waste to much time on the pc mac or laptop. best of luck and have a great time
    bob/yermano
    canon eos 20 d ,eos 5 film backup, speedligh 580 ex, lenses 12mm to 400mm, 3 head cheap adorama studio light and a couple of oldies

ps almost forgot get a tripod if you don't have one already it the most important bit of kit other than the camera.

GJ

Good choice..

Enjou your new camera..
    Kind Regards,
    GJ

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.....

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by gj View Post
    good choice..

Enjou your new camera..
    +1

goodluck with your new camera.. good brand and good quality..

You'll be delighted with your new camera - especially as you've been using a phone! Have fun and take lots of pictures - that's the way you learn.

So many cameras today have built in IS (image stabilising) that more often than not a tripod is not required for everyday shots.
    For close up or studio shots, that's a different matter - so a tripod should definitely be a consideration.

For watch close-ups a "light box or tent" is essential (very cheap - DIY or under $10 on Ebay) - they give astonishingly good results.

I would also recommend a computer software such as Photoshop (expensive) or PaintshopPro (cheaper but as effective) - so that post-processing can be done. It's not always possible to frame or get a picture "just right" on the day.
    Also many digital cameras lack contrast on their normal settings, so a little work on the PC is often required - it can make a huge difference to your finshed result and it doesn't take more than a few minutes!

I've been photographing for over 50 years and have to admit that a little post-processing and editing IS photography today.

Have fun...

I never hear anyone mentioning storage and cataloging of photos once they are off camera. My personal choice is Google's Picasa. It's free, has lots of basic functions built in for quickie edits, does a great job of storing and organizing photos, and is an all-around good program that costs nothing.

Lately I have been integrating Lightroom with my workflow but only for certain shots that I want to make more "stylized."

Thread Information