New camera recommendation

Thread: New camera recommendation

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New camera recommendation

My Canon G7 died after over 3 years of trouble-free service.

I need a new camera.
    I love the features of an advanced P&S such as G7 but I am not too thrilled with a new Canon G11 as a replacement for my G7. Just not too impressive as far as the features(same stuff and nothing new, plus same resolution as my G7) and does not seem to be a decent upgrade.

Since I haven't kept up with digital camera market, what do you guys recommend? I want something nice with advanced features because I like to set the apperture I want and sync a flash with it if it's indoors and just use the lens in its sweet spot apperture wise.

Without getting into brand wars such as Canon vs Nikon, among the new advanced P&S cameras(hot shoe is nice to have) or an entry level DSLR, what are the winners?

I have a Canon EX flash and a Canon 50mm prime lens, but I do not care if I have to buy this for a different brand of camera as long as it's worth it image quality wise.

Appreciate the advice and happy holidays to all!

Re: New camera recommendation

I heard the Canon Xsi and T1i are pretty good, both entry level DSLRs. I am looking into them, and I decided I am getting one of those. I know where you're coming from, as I'm coming from a G9.

My Collection --> Click Here

T1i looks better than XSi to me. check out dpreview.com.

I would like to take a shot at an advanced P&S category first. I do love image quality(which I always felt my G7 delivered even in comparison to some DSLRs) but I also want convenience. I don't want to cary around a boat anchor and knowing how I am, I'll be buying a Canon 24-70L lens a week after my T1i purchase. So that's dangerous!

I've been reading up on different cams today and the list I'm coming up with is:
    Canon G11. Panasonic LX3, Panasonic GF1, Nikon P6000.
    I'm going to check them out in person tomorrow.
    I have to pick something up before 12/31.

Also, Kyle, keep in mind that pretty much any DSLR will output images that will need some post processing in PhotoShop. P&S cameras typically process images with an in-camera JPEG processor so at times, even out of a mediocre P&S an image may look sharper and more vibrant than one taken with a DSLR. Just so you know. A DSLR like the T1i will give you a base to work with. Unless you set the in-camera image processing(sharpness, contrast, color) to match your taste. And that does not always guarantee a good image. With an SLR you have to practice to get a good shot. Just so you know.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I picked up a Canon T1i with kit 18-55 IS lens today. We'll take few shots tomorrow, play around with it and see how it is.

Banned

how about a PnS Panasonic Lumix LX3?

for a DSLR i'm happy with the D90, quite a compact dslr for its mid level features

I saw the Lumix LX3 today. It is a very nice little camera with Leica glass. Definitely a nice companion to a DSLR. If I keep the T1i, I'll consider a small P&S for situations where DSLR is too bulky.

Congratulations on your new DSLR purchase, T1i seems to be a great camera, don't forget to try the video recording feature in that camera too.

I'd recommend Lumix LX3 if you ever decided to get a pocket camera. The quality is really worth the price. I went out shooting with my friend and I ended up using her LX3 more than my own DSLR, it's very convenient. LX3 produce better image quality compared to my Canon G10 considering the larger aperture and leica quality lens.

try the G9... more res than the G11, and its still in demand even after the G10 and G11 were introduced!!! go figure.

Another Panasonic Lumix LX3 fan here

took few shots outside with my new T1i, kit 18-55 IS lens.

some post processing, nothing major - removed color, applied unsharp mask and adjusted levels in Photoshop Elements. So far I am pleased. Even with no post processing at all, the images look very good.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information