New light-box!

Thread: New light-box!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

New light-box!

My dear wife and daughters gave me a light-box kit for my birthday

Here's a sample of my first shots (all with the 105mm Nikkor Macro):

I think the white-balance needs a little adjustment and I'd like to try some other backgrounds, but I'm pretty happy with the gift and results of a first effort... This is going to be fun

Thanks for looking,
    Wallace
    For me, every day is a new thing. I approach each project with a new insecurity, almost like the first project I ever did, and I get the sweats. I go in and start working. I'm not sure where I'm going - if I knew where I was going, I wouldn't do it. Frank Gehry

Re: New light-box!

Quote Originally Posted by ohmegah View Post
    My dear wife and daughters gave me a light-box kit for my birthday

Here's a sample of my first shots (all with the 105mm Nikkor Macro):

I think the white-balance needs a little adjustment and I'd like to try some other backgrounds, but I'm pretty happy with the gift and results of a first effort... This is going to be fun

Thanks for looking,
    Wallace
    Nice setup! These are great shots, but need some adjustment (as you mentioned). I just took this one into Photoshop and tweaked it a little bit: Modified curves to change white balance, used Smart Sharpen and boosted the blue saturation. Probably a bit heavy-handed but it shows how much detail you can pull - even from a reduced-size JPEG!

Omega Seamaster "Bond" 2531.80
    Tag Heuer S/EL GC1120
    Tissot T-Touch Titanium T33.1.598.51
    RGM Custom 151P Black face/Shark strap
    Lum-Tec B1LE, M9, M18, M15
    Damasko DA36
    Stowa MOLE II (Marine Original Limited Edition II)
    Sinn U1

Quote Originally Posted by T1ckT0ck View Post
    Nice setup! These are great shots, but need some adjustment (as you mentioned). I just took this one into Photoshop and tweaked it a little bit: Modified curves to change white balance, used Smart Sharpen and boosted the blue saturation. Probably a bit heavy-handed but it shows how much detail you can pull - even from a reduced-size JPEG!

Now that's what I was looking for... Thanks
    -Wallace

Just had a go at some adjustments, myself... Here's the way I see it:

Now, I have little experience with post-processing software or procedures so, this is a bit of a flyer, but it is a pretty accurate representation of how the watch appears to my eye under normal lighting and conditions. Thank you for your example!

Best,
    Wallace
    Last edited by ohmegah; March 1st, 2010 at 03:34. Reason: Added photo / text.
    For me, every day is a new thing. I approach each project with a new insecurity, almost like the first project I ever did, and I get the sweats. I go in and start working. I'm not sure where I'm going - if I knew where I was going, I wouldn't do it. Frank Gehry

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

WOW!

Very nice gift!

Congrats for this and thankz for the amazing shots!
    Seiko Samurai TI SBDA001
    Seiko Black Monster SKX779K
    Seiko Orange Monster
    SKX781K
    Seiko Baby Monster SNZF47
    Seiko SKX009K2
    Orient 469SS040 Yellow Special Edition from FRM
    Orient CFM00001B0
    Tissot PRS 516
    T91.1.426.51
    Swatch Sea Pride YOS402G

---------------------------------------------------------------

Soon: Citizen Nighthawk, Omega PO 45mm, Omega SM, Oris TT1.

Wish list:
    Orient WV0051FA

Great gift! Congrats!

Looks great Wallace. I had no idea what the face color was so I made it white. I'm sure yours is much more accurate. Good job!

Omega Seamaster "Bond" 2531.80
    Tag Heuer S/EL GC1120
    Tissot T-Touch Titanium T33.1.598.51
    RGM Custom 151P Black face/Shark strap
    Lum-Tec B1LE, M9, M18, M15
    Damasko DA36
    Stowa MOLE II (Marine Original Limited Edition II)
    Sinn U1

Hey, nice little setup you got. I'm sure just a tweak here and there will give you even better pics in no time.

Congratulations, very nice. That's a great lens, too.

The color balance looks like florescent light bulbs. Is that what you are using? I suggest daylight balanced bulbs. There are those that are truly balanced at 5500K. I cheat and use cheapy daylight style regular bulbs like GE Reveal. But getting good color to begin with is better than trying to adjust in software.

Fool around with lighting, too. I generally use 1 light brightly lighting 1 side and another slightly further away shining on the top and other side. Unbalanced lighting can help get a more 3D look. Sometimes I turn off 1 light completely. There are lots of options to play with.

Have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by SynMike View Post
    Congratulations, very nice. That's a great lens, too.

The color balance looks like florescent light bulbs. Is that what you are using? I suggest daylight balanced bulbs. There are those that are truly balanced at 5500K. I cheat and use cheapy daylight style regular bulbs like GE Reveal. But getting good color to begin with is better than trying to adjust in software.

Fool around with lighting, too. I generally use 1 light brightly lighting 1 side and another slightly further away shining on the top and other side. Unbalanced lighting can help get a more 3D look. Sometimes I turn off 1 light completely. There are lots of options to play with.

Have fun.
    Thanks for your tips and advice, Mike!

The light-bulbs that came with the kit are rated as 5200K and described as "true daylight"... However, in my excitement I set my camera to 5000K

They are spiral fluorescents.

Looks like a newbie mistake, and a lesson learned. I probably wouldn't have checked / cross referenced the bulbs and my camera settings if you hadn't mentioned it. Big thanks!

I'm excited to see the results once I get things in synch I'll experiment with different light positioning, too. Great tips

Best,
    Wallace

Quote Originally Posted by Fabricioab View Post
    WOW!

Very nice gift!

Congrats for this and thankz for the amazing shots!
    Quote Originally Posted by WatchAdct View Post
    Great gift! Congrats!
    Quote Originally Posted by T1ckT0ck View Post
    Looks great Wallace. I had no idea what the face color was so I made it white. I'm sure yours is much more accurate. Good job!
    Quote Originally Posted by BenL View Post
    Hey, nice little setup you got. I'm sure just a tweak here and there will give you even better pics in no time.
    Thanks Guys!
    -wjb

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information