Which Nikon?

Thread: Which Nikon?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Which Nikon?

O.K., I've decided to go w/ a Nikon as my 1st DSLR and now must decide between the D60 and D90. I can get the D60 in a bundle w/2 Nikkor lenses for 699.00 and the D90 w/same exact lenses for 1299.00. Apart from the obious differences such as Megapixel !0.5 v 12.5 , larger display screen and the D90 video capabilities, is it worth the huge price difference? I am an avid photographer and have a vast array of 35 mm SLrs ranghing from CAnon A1,Nikon F3 HP, Pentax 645 etc and love them all. Up till now have been shooting all digital on a canon G9 and need to go DSLR. Would any of my Nikon glass be suitable for these NikonS? O.K, nuff asked whattaya guys think?

Re: Which Nikon?

There are a few differences between the D60 and D90.

The D60 is not compatible with focus-screw-type Nikon lenses, but the D90 is. You'll have to use lenses with a built-in focus motor. If you're starting fresh, its not that big of an issue, but if you have a good assortment of Nikon glass its a good thing to have.

The D60 does not have a DOF preview button, but the D90 does. The D90 has more focus points than the D60 (11 vs 3). It will shoot a faster FPS (4.5fps vs 3)

Those are the biggest differences off the top of my head, there are a few more in the design of the camera itself. e.g. All info is displayed on the back lcd, whereas the D90 will have a small LCD on the top of the body for quick access to information.

If the Nikon glass you already have does not have internal metering, it will not be compatable with either the D60 or D90. Those old lenses are only compatible with the higher end Nikon bodies (like the D300/D400 or better)

Image quality between the two cameras isn't going to be huge. If you're handy with a camera, you can take some GREAT shots with the D60. I'd go with the D90 just to keep using older lenses (that is, if what you already have wouldn't work with the D60)

I have a D80, and I love it.

Based on what you said I agree with tnoy and recommend the D90 for you as you seem to be an advanced amateur.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The internal focus motor of D90 is reason enough...as others have said you aren't limiting yourself with lenses as much as a D60. The D90 also has a bit more direct access to settings via case wheel/buttons which can reduce digging through menus as much. The D90 has a much bigger body......if you have larger hands, the D60, which is surprisingly small, might be uncomfortable. I went with D90.

YES the D90 is DEFINITELY worth extra money. I am using the D70 now, and as good as it is, the d90 is A LOT better. the noise control is incredible, and supposed to beat out the canon 5d MKI and canon 50D. and the vid capability is pretty cool.

and the D90 has the internal focus motor which the d60 doesn't have i believe. Allows you to use cheap primes such as the 50/1.8 and 24/2.8 i have, which are both incredibly sharp

If you do decide to go with a D90, may I suggest why not take one step further get a D200!!! Yes, D90 is a bit new and loaded with new features, but D200 is a whole lot more fun, and it's cheaper than D90. Think about it!

I would never buy the d200 over the d90. The only reason I would consider the 200 is for the build and the price. The d90 has the new sensor and a MUCH better metering system.

The D90 is nice. I often visit a Photography forum and many of the guys there have good things to say about this.
    That Ain't an Igloo, thats my Watch. That ain't snow, thats my Chain. That Ain't an ice tray, thats my teeth. That's not a snowcone, thats my ring
    - Orient Orange Mako
    - Orient "Pepsi" Mako
    - Orient Star (Rose Gold w/ power reserve)
    - Android Tattooed Banker (Yellow)
    - Movado
    - G-Shock 5600, 6900

Hi,

Have you seen this site?

www.kenrockwell.com

Tonyh

Do not fall into the mega pixel trap, D40 will do it all for way less.
    • Innovate and Dominate
    • Have no faith and be fearful, Be faithful and be fearless
    • Words are the seeds of thoughts-Thoughts are the weeds of your mind-Plant your seeds carefully
    • Do not blame fate for failure-or luck for success

Vintage Glycine Airman (2),plus 65 other watches

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information