Nikon Recommendations
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Nikon Recommendations

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Nikon Recommendations

Hi Photography peeps! I wanted to tap your knowledge to get some feedback and recommendations before making a camera purchase. I'll be honest, I have tried doing some research on this matter but every time I try to bone up, I find myself lost in a sea of artfulness that sounds good but doesn't end up making a lot of sense. The wife is really interested in picking up a nice camera and getting into Photography and I would like to feel somewhat educated before buying it for her to make sure we know what we will be getting into. She will be going mostly nature and landscapes but will want to do some macro shots as well. I will selfishly of course make her shoot my watches and probably the car on occasion. At this point, she seems pretty sent on a Nikkon and I think she has been eyeing this one:

Nikon D5500 DX-format Digital SLR Dual Lens Kit w/
    - Nikon AF-P DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Lens
    - Nikon AF-P DX NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-6.3G ED Lens

My goal would be to get her a quality camera that she could grow into as she becomes more learned in the mysterious picture ways. Appreciate the thoughts and feedback and education.
    GreenManalishi likes this.

Re: Nikon Recommendations

Nikon is about to aquired by another big tech giant....maybe Sony?

Prices should plummet on all Nikon products.

Even if Nikon was bought by another company, which is unlikely, prices wouldn't plummet.

The 5500 is a solid entry level DSLR. I'd suggest getting the body only and adding a 35mm 1.8 prime lens. The G version is very reasonable. For an all in one lens, Tamaron makes an 18-270 that I used when I first started and had good luck with. It can be had for around $350.

The kit lenses are OK, but you'd be surprised how great of a shot you can get with that 35mm on that crop sensor body.
    LB Carl likes this.
    “I mingle with my peers or no one, and since I have no peers, I mingle with no one.”
    John Kennedy Toole, A Confederacy of Dunces

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The Nikon/Sony thing is just a rumor that's been around since last year.

I use the Nikon 7200 and have been very happy with it. I don't keep up with the latest news, but I see the 7200 has had a price drop since I bought it, which I would guess means there is an updated model coming or already here. I think it will give you a little more room for growth than the 5500 for maybe $250 more or so for the body. The one really cool thing the 5500 has that the 7200 doesn't is an articulating screen. I do a lot of beach photography, and the 7200 being weather sealed has been a big thing for me. If I remember correctly, and it's been a while, i think the thing that made me go for the 7200 over the 5500 was that the 7200 gives more control of camera settings through dials and buttons on the camera, with less need to go into the menu system.

Personally, I'd just go for the body by itself and hand pick the lenses based on what you think you'll be doing with them. The lenses are going to be a bigger factor in getting the quality photos you want than the bodies in the long run if you're looking at that range of cameras. Hope this helps!
    rymanocerous likes this.

I have a 5300 and I have still not reached the capabilities of the camera. The 35mm dx prime lens is awesome. Its the perfect walk around lens. The 70-300 is good but tou really need vr on that big of a zoom. But i have the 55-200 ed and have enjoyed it just wish I had grabbed the vr version for the extra $$$

So here's the deal, all those cameras are pretty darn good and can yield professional results.

Think of "kit" lenses and "all-in-one" lenses as "walking around" lenses, mostly useful for vacation photos.
    For macro shots you're going to need a macro lens.

This doesn't mean you have to go out and spend all your money on the latest lenses, in fact many pro's opt for vintage lenses.
    The vintage lens market is very hot but you have to do your research and know what you're looking for. These lenses are manual focus.

If she's just starting out, set a budget for the camera (used is fine), get a refurbished kit lens from Samy's and get a really good macro lens.

Oh yeah, typically after market lenses plummet in value the moment you walk out of the store. There are a handful that are awesome, but that's another thread.
    I will say however, if you want a cool lens to take car photos with, you can buy a Tokina 11-16. Groundbreaking performance in an after market lens and is in every pro's kit.

Cheers.
    LB Carl and rymanocerous like this.
    Damasko DA46 Black
    Seiko 5 vintage (1969)

Tag Heuer 2000 Classic (1990)
    Omega Seamaster vintage (mid 60's)
    Omega Seamaster 300 2254.50
    Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean 2201.50 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Camera Bill View Post
    Oh yeah, typically after market lenses plummet in value the moment you walk out of the store. There are a handful that are awesome, but that's another thread.
    I will say however, if you want a cool lens to take car photos with, you can buy a Tokina 11-16. Groundbreaking performance in an after market lens and is in every pro's kit.

Cheers.
    Speaking of Tokina lenses, I'd recommend the Tokina 100mm f/2.8 for inexpensive and high quality entry to Macro photography.

Quote Originally Posted by LB Carl View Post
    …I use the Nikon 7200…I do a lot of beach photography, and the 7200 being weather sealed has been a big thing for me...The lenses are going to be a bigger factor in getting the quality photos you want than the bodies in the long run if you're looking at that range of cameras. Hope this helps!
    Awesome. This is exactly the type of information I need. We do spend a lot of time at the beach so the weather sealed option would be a plus, but I’m concerned that it’s increased size would be prohibitive.

Quote Originally Posted by Camera Bill View Post
    …Think of "kit" lenses and "all-in-one" lenses as "walking around" lenses, mostly useful for vacation photos. For macro shots you're going to need a macro lens…
    I will say however, if you want a cool lens to take car photos with, you can buy a Tokina 11-16. Groundbreaking performance in an aftermarket lens and is in every pro's kit…
    That sounds fair and kind of the way I was leaning. I think she chose this kit as a good “value” which I can’t argue with. Guess we have a lot of lens education to do now.

So it sounds like the consensus is that the D5500 is a solid body choice. Stupid question for you all, if I start looking at buying just the body and grabbing individual lenses, do lens come in different diameters ie. Will we have to be cautious of pairing other brand lens to the body? I'm up for doing some shopping and education but don't want to end up paying twice as much and not getting her what she needs to plug and play.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information