Olympus OM-1

Thread: Olympus OM-1

Olympus OM-1

Haven't found a mention of this camera anywhere. Not that I know anything about them, but I do have one. It was my Dad's. Now it's in my display cabinet, not working but a nice ornament which holds fond memories of my Dad. Some 10 years ago he took it in for repair, and the chap in the shop said it would be 400 pounds to repair. My Dad said bugger that, I'll bin it and buy something else. The shop keeper looked horrfied, and gently said "Sir, I am willing ti give you 400 pounds cash now in the condition it's in"
    Dad decided to keep it, but not repair it, and now I have it, and I'm keeping it.

DON

Re: Olympus OM-1

Dad should have taken the money.

Loads on Ebay and sell prices not much nowdays

DON

A classic manual camera. Too bad it doesn't work.

My dad gave me his last year, it was a Minolta SRT 201. Another all manual. Funny, within the same trip up to visit, my grandfather gave me an old argus rangefinder. Also this summer a family friend gave me a Canon AE1. I have quite a few cameras, but I still use my all manual Leica mostly.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The OM-1 is a classic and was a breakthrough in 35mm SLR design when it came out. Your dad had good taste.

Man, the OM-1 was a cool camera! My old high school photography teacher shot with one. He liked it because it was smaller than just about every other SLR on the market at the time.

I collect old cameras now. I've got my old Canon FTb, a number of bellows cameras, Brownies, some cheap (but way cool) old plastic Saber cameras, a dual-lens reflex (which is actually a really nice Mamiya), a Polaroid, etc. I dig old cameras...
    Dream like you'll live forever. Live like you'll die tomorrow...

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's the best they're gonna' feel all day...

Oris Williams F1, Omega Planet Ocean 45mm, Ball Engineer Master II Aviator

Hi -

I bought an OM-1, one of the first to arrive in Pittsburgh, back in ... 1973. It had a low 6-digit serial number, and if I still had it, I could sell it for quite a bit due to the 100xxx serial number.

An old buddy of mine has it instead, since he uses it.

I put around 3000 rolls of film through it from 1973 to 1978 with little or no maintenance. In 1978 it went through a complete overhaul after spending the summer in Jordan, 9 weeks in the desert, followed by three weeks through Europe, where it finally lost curtain synchronization in Iceland in the last two days of my trip back then. The repair was roughly half what the body sold for back then. At that point in time I picked up an OM-2n, in black as well, and put around another 5000 rolls of film through them before moving to medium format exclusively in 1993 (first Fuji 6x4.5, then 6x9, before settling on Pentax 67). The OM-2n died in 1995 and I stopped shooting 35mm entirely by 1997, when I went to the P67. Went digital in 2002 with a Nikon Coolpix 5000 and in 2007 with an Olympus E510. Still using that, as well as an E30 and EP1.

Before the Olympus I had used Miranda Sensorex, then Nikon F. The F was so huge and heavy, it was a delight using the OM1, and the camera's lenses were simply outstanding. I still have my 50mm f1.4 lens(#1109362) and use it for low-light on the EP1. I'm heading out later this evening to survey some places to take large-scale panoramas with a gigapan robotic panorama head, and that lens is going out with me (along with the 17 f2.8) to work on my low-light techniques.

An old family friend was a glass physicist, first for Leica in Solms and then for Zeiss in Oberkochen. We talked about competition a lot (I'm an economist) and he said that the only Japanese lenses that either Leica or Zeiss took a serious competition were the Zuikos.

Outstanding lenses, great bodies!

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

Your dad should have sold the camera, the OM-1 is nice but 400 is ALOT for that camera. Some of the high end Zuiko lenses Olympus had were nearly unmatched in quality. Get the camera repaired and load some Ektar 100 in it.

Thread Information