Optimal camera settings for lume shots?

Thread: Optimal camera settings for lume shots?

Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Member berg35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Vänersborg, Sweden
    Posts
    235

    Optimal camera settings for lume shots?

    Are there any optimal settings to get nice lume shots. What settings do you use?
    Exposure time: How many seconds?
    Apperture: I would guess f11-f22.
    ISO: as low ass possible I guess...
    How "dark" is the room? Completely blacked out or only a low light room?
    - A man as strong as me doesn't need a signature -

    Current watch:
    Oris Diver Titan Chronograf 300m, G-Shock M5610, Tissot Visodate -58
    Sold watches: Bernhardt Globemaster
    , Seiko SKX781 "Orange Monster", Citizen Nighthawk, Seiko SNA411 "Flightmaster"
    Whislist: Audemars Piquet Royal Oak, IWC Ingeneur 3227-01, Breitling Skyracer, Breitling Navitimer

  2. #2
    Member cnmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Zhuhai (Hong Kong, Macau)
    Posts
    2,407

    Re: Optimal camera settings for lume shots?

    Quote Originally Posted by berg35 View Post
    Are there any optimal settings to get nice lume shots. What settings do you use?
    Exposure time: How many seconds?
    Apperture: I would guess f11-f22.
    ISO: as low ass possible I guess...
    How "dark" is the room? Completely blacked out or only a low light room?
    There are no "optimal" settings - as it depends on what you want to do and your equipment's capabilities.

    Generally the human eye is much more light sensitive than any camera's sensor (or film), so as you guessed, you need long exposures. But better keep the aperture open much wider than you assumed to avoid excessively long exposure times (and the sensor noise generated by too long exposure times). ISO setting as low as possible, again to avoid sensor noise.

    Here's how I do them:

    My settings are f/5.6 or f/8 and 15sec to 30 sec. @ ISO 200. ISO 200 is the lowest my D100 allows for. The room is completely dark when I do lume shots (at night...) - but during the actual shot only. The setup, focussing etc. is naturally done "lights on". The camera is released by it's self timer: this leaves 10 seconds to reach for the lights switch and avoids camera shake resulting from pressing the shutter button (because even on a tripod it's much recommended not to touch the camera for the start of any low-light shot).

    The settings above bring out the luminous elements very well. But only the luminous elements, everything else is plain black:




    To bring out the non-luminous elements of the entire setup (and especially the watch), a fill flash is fired at the end of the long exposure ("rear synch"). This fill flash is strongly reduced in output, by dialing -3 EV on the flash and an additional -2 EV on the camera (total -5 EV), this gives a very natural "night view" appearance:




    Or, not reducing the flash output as much for an "effect" shot, by just dialing -3 EV on the flash for more of the watch and the setup to appear out of the dark:



    If you want to see the above examples larger, feel invited to click them.

    Cheers, hope this was helpful,

    Markus
    aka
    cnmark

  3. #3
    Member berg35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Vänersborg, Sweden
    Posts
    235

    Re: Optimal camera settings for lume shots?

    Quote Originally Posted by cnmark View Post
    There are no "optimal" settings - as it depends on what you want to do and your equipment's capabilities.

    Generally the human eye is much more light sensitive than any camera's sensor (or film), so as you guessed, you need long exposures. But better keep the aperture open much wider than you assumed to avoid excessively long exposure times (and the sensor noise generated by too long exposure times). ISO setting as low as possible, again to avoid sensor noise.

    Here's how I do them:

    My settings are f/5.6 or f/8 and 15sec to 30 sec. @ ISO 200. ISO 200 is the lowest my D100 allows for. The room is completely dark when I do lume shots (at night...) - but during the actual shot only. The setup, focussing etc. is naturally done "lights on". The camera is released by it's self timer: this leaves 10 seconds to reach for the lights switch and avoids camera shake resulting from pressing the shutter button (because even on a tripod it's much recommended not to touch the camera for the start of any low-light shot).

    The settings above bring out the luminous elements very well. But only the luminous elements, everything else is plain black:




    To bring out the non-luminous elements of the entire setup (and especially the watch), a fill flash is fired at the end of the long exposure ("rear synch"). This fill flash is strongly reduced in output, by dialing -3 EV on the flash and an additional -2 EV on the camera (total -5 EV), this gives a very natural "night view" appearance:




    Or, not reducing the flash output as much for an "effect" shot, by just dialing -3 EV on the flash for more of the watch and the setup to appear out of the dark:



    If you want to see the above examples larger, feel invited to click them.

    Cheers, hope this was helpful,

    Markus
    aka
    cnmark
    Thank you for en excellent reply!! I have to go down to the basement and play around with my camera tonight!! Excellent shots by the way!!!
    - A man as strong as me doesn't need a signature -

    Current watch:
    Oris Diver Titan Chronograf 300m, G-Shock M5610, Tissot Visodate -58
    Sold watches: Bernhardt Globemaster
    , Seiko SKX781 "Orange Monster", Citizen Nighthawk, Seiko SNA411 "Flightmaster"
    Whislist: Audemars Piquet Royal Oak, IWC Ingeneur 3227-01, Breitling Skyracer, Breitling Navitimer

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member berg35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Vänersborg, Sweden
    Posts
    235

    Re: Optimal camera settings for lume shots?

    I couldn't wait any longer so here comes my first to tries.




    Any suggestions?
    How did you make your images "click-able"?
    - A man as strong as me doesn't need a signature -

    Current watch:
    Oris Diver Titan Chronograf 300m, G-Shock M5610, Tissot Visodate -58
    Sold watches: Bernhardt Globemaster
    , Seiko SKX781 "Orange Monster", Citizen Nighthawk, Seiko SNA411 "Flightmaster"
    Whislist: Audemars Piquet Royal Oak, IWC Ingeneur 3227-01, Breitling Skyracer, Breitling Navitimer

  6. #5
    Member cnmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Zhuhai (Hong Kong, Macau)
    Posts
    2,407

    Re: Optimal camera settings for lume shots?

    Quote Originally Posted by berg35 View Post
    I couldn't wait any longer so here comes my first to tries.




    Any suggestions?
    How did you make your images "click-able"?
    Nice work for two initial shots - now my tip is just get some more training...
    Really, try and try with different settings, light sources, etc.


    About making the photos "clickable":

    In WUS:
    Insert the image as usual using the "insert image" button:
    After the image appears in the edit box, select it. Then click the "insert hyperlink" button in the WUS editor (globe with chain: ) and paste the link to the flickr photo page into the dialog box.
    Done.

    Unlike many other boards WUS does not support HTML code, so using the HTML code provided by flickr after you click on the "all sizes" button on your flickr photo page does not help in WUS.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •