Overwhelmed in my affordable point-and-search camera search. Please help!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By jlowyz
  • 1 Post By CayoHuesoVespa
  • 1 Post By thebuzz

Thread: Overwhelmed in my affordable point-and-search camera search. Please help!

Overwhelmed in my affordable point-and-search camera search. Please help!

Can anyone recommend an affordable ($100-$200), good point-and-shoot camera? Something that's highly-rated? I'd certainly be willing to extend the budget a little, if anyone knows of a good holiday deal?

I'm overwhelmed in my search for a good camera. Thousands of examples. I don't know which to choose. I'm using my iPhone3's camera, and the quality of its photography is frankly insulting. I've posted too many wretched pictures on WUS, I need some better equipment. I'm hurting people's eyes.

Please help me WUS.

Re: Overwhelmed in my affordable point-and-search camera search. Please help!

Go for Fuji point and shoot cameras. I use a Fuji X100T and it's works beautifully for my purposes. This model doesn't have a zoom though, which some people can't do without unfortunately.
    TJ Boogie likes this.

i use a dslr mostly but have had great success with a couple P&S cameras.
    you have to know what your shooting and why you need a certain type of camera to really answer the question of which camera to buy.
    anything will get you a picture and most will get you a decent picture, its the photographer that makes the shot, not the equipment so much. look for high

I like the tough / rugged models as they take drops and bumps of tossing them in my bag as well as being waterproof. its good for point and shoot (duh) where you want nice pics but not alot of hassle. picture quality can be nice as long as you know the correct settings for your shot.
    the 2 i have used are similar to this Olympus tough camera. i lost the first one and bought the upgraded version when i replaced it. i still have it but use a gopro for rough photography nowadays... im not sure of the model # off hand but the one below should do the trick.
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...4_digital.html

also, the panasonic lumix line has a few really nice cameras. some of the best quality builds on the market in this category. there are some that are more affordable and still take a great picture. ive used the previous model to the one below and BandH photo has steal on a refurbished one. the Leica lens is choice...
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...al_camera.html

i use B and H alot and they have a nice function called explora, which is news tips, reviews and such. its a good spot to do research.
    i pulled up this search. check it out, it should help.
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora...-shoot-cameras

feel free to ask any questions, i am usually pretty good with this topic...

good luck.
    TJ Boogie likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

+1 on the Lumix at the $200 price point you could pick up a decent DMC model.

Generally speaking if you are buying a camera you want something that is significantly better than the one thats on your phone. By the time you upgrade your phone to an iPhone 7... The difference in image quality is negligible vs many affordable point and shoots. So perhaps upgrading your phone is an option.

On the other hand, if you are hell bent on high quality images... For $400 you can get a Sony RX100 which is an awesome camera that can produce results comparable to a DSLR. You may be able to pick up a used one within your budget. EG: Amazon warehouse deals has some for $300 or less.
    Last edited by thebuzz; November 30th, 2016 at 07:33.
    TJ Boogie likes this.

will you consider 2nd hand?

Quote Originally Posted by CayoHuesoVespa View Post
    i use B and H alot and they have a nice function called explora, which is news tips, reviews and such. its a good spot to do research.
    i pulled up this search. check it out, it should help.
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora...-shoot-cameras

feel free to ask any questions, i am usually pretty good with this topic...

good luck.
    These are all really good cameras but might be overkill. OP you won't be disappointed with the quality you get out of any of these cameras but since you're using an iPhone 3 the functions may be overkill (apologies in advance as I am stereotyping).

For something cheap and basic you can't go wrong with a Canon IXUS (not sure what number they're up to now). I've had two and they take decent photos plus will hold up to a lot. For example I hiked for 8 hours in the snow and rain with my IXUS in my pocket of my rain jacket and the pocket open. Whe I took out he camera I was fearing the worst as it was soaked however e little thing started up and worked properly the first time!

Quote Originally Posted by thebuzz View Post
    The RX100 version 5 just came out recently. Highly recommended.

if you consider used, you can get a really nice point n shoot. check when a new model comes out and you can usually find deals on the last model in my experience.

Banned

Fuji would be best.

Thread Information