Photo preference for reality with watches.

Thread: Photo preference for reality with watches.

Photo preference for reality with watches.

I do snapshots not careful commercial and professional photos. Prefer to show things as they are. Use natural diffused sunlight so have to digitally correct sometimes only for blue. Use moderate price Canon G6. Make certain not too close to object with lens and smallest aperature thus good depth of focus. 7 meg. pixel adequate for tight cropping so depth of field retained. I like images that actually show reflections and shadows like the real world thus are truly representative. I submit this because a watch recently bought has a an odd silvery reflective grey and white checkerboard dial difficult to photograph, but by simply using natural sunlight off the white room ceiling at an angle it shows up well. No need for fancy equipment, special lighting and optics. Added a couple of same movement photos as example for depth of focus. Watchmaker does nice image with fine equipment and closeup lens attachment. Note some depth of field loss. The black background is from moderate close focusing and cropping, but still sharp all over, and has better color fidelity because of natural sunlight. Black is best for color fidelity. I have never seen a
    green gold watch case image like this that actually shows the green.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by artb; April 11th, 2010 at 15:15. Reason: add photos

Re: Photo preference for reality with watches.

That is a nice watch! Been a fan of Schumacher for some time.
    I think you've done well. Yes, for full commercial photos, you'd need a heck of a lot more gear. A couple suggestions: The blown-out glare on the first watch crystal is a killer. You can get a simple diffuser panel to help cut the light. Even reflected is too much sometimes. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/67100-REG/Westcott_1107_14_Diffuser_Reflector.html
    This'll mean a longer shutter speed is required.

What f-stop are you using for the 1st detail shot on the Gruen? You said you were using the smallest aperture, although the depth of field is pretty shallow. The top & bottom of the movement are slightly out of the focus plane. I would think f/8 would be as 'open' as you'd want. When I do macro work on movements, I usually use nothing smaller (larger aperture) than f/11. Experimentation is your best friend!
    Pink Floyd. Dark side of the moon. Side one, track four.
    Gallet Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/GalletChronographs/

Re: Photo preference for reality with watches.

Appreciate comments. The movnt. without case photo is by watchmaker, not me, using an extra closeup accessary lens that impairs the depth of focus. Mine does not with standard zoom lens f8 and cropping even though object is at angle not flat like the bare movnt. Good photographers will disagree. You do not like to see glare. I say it is normal and acceptable to me since it is a natural result of existing light in the room where it was and you were looking at the watch in that room at that time and holding it so the dial pattern was best visible. I have a white dome that is useful sometimes, is clumsy to use and dulls the light. Nice flat light for shadowless movement detail images, but unnatural. Snapshot attempt here to show both curved and flat movements. And more glare examples.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by artb; April 9th, 2010 at 13:29.

Thread Information