Photography

Thread: Photography

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Photography

I've come to realize two things:

1) I can't keep spending $1000 a month on watches
    2) Pictures add to this forum

So, instead of spending all my time here looking for the next watch to purchase, I've decided to try and burn off some of my watch related energy by taking a few (hopefully interesting) pictures. Does anybody have a recommendation for a camera that is especially suited for taking good watch photos?

Simple criteria:

1) Good quality - but not too expensive
    2) Not overly complicated
    3) Has some kind of micro lense like capability

Can I accomplish this with a good point and shoot or will I need an SLR/DLSR. Also, can this be found for less than $500? Please say yes.
    Last edited by ljb187; July 2nd, 2010 at 16:42.

Banned

Re: Photography

Quote Originally Posted by ljb187 View Post
    I've come to realize two things:

1) I can't keep spending $1000 a month on watches
    2) Pictures add to this forum
    Alright! You've reached the next level.

Quote Originally Posted by ljb187 View Post
    So, instead of spending all my time here looking for the next watch to purchase, I've decided to try and burn off some of my watch related energy by taking a few (hopefully interesting) pictures. Does anybody have a recommendation for a camera that is especially suited for taking good watch photos?

Simple criteria:

1) Good quality - but not too expensive
    2) Not overly complicated
    3) Has some kind of micro lense like capability

Can I accomplish this with a good point and shoot or will I need an SLR/DLSR. Also, can this be found for less than $500? Please say yes.
    Dude, I have 2 cameras that easily fit the bill. One is a pocket camera with very good macro capability: the Nikon S600. It can be found for less than $300. The other is the Canon G9 (but any G series will do). You can set it manually OR leave it on automatic - and even control just one or two settings while leaving the rest on auto. I usually adjust the lens speed and sometimes the depth of field, but there's no need to mess with it most times. It also has probably the best image stabilization of any p&s available. You can find these for around $400. The new G10 is even less than $500 I think. There are 2 drawbacks to the Canon G series: the on board flash (but it has a shoe for an auxiliary flash) and you can't zoom while using macro (but you can get literally on top of the crystal).

I used to use the Canon G9, I could get results like this:

You can also check out the Canon Rebel Xsi, all the pictures on my site are taken with the Rebel.

http://kylewatch.blogspot.com/

My Collection --> Click Here

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Moved to the more suitable forum.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Both these shots were taken with my ordinary 10 megapixel Sony DCS-S930 Compact - bought for £50 because the box was damaged

You do not need expensive kit!

https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthr...11#post3135111

Well I use my cellphone Xperia X10, or my pocket camera to make photographs.

I think people commonly mistaken that camera is just a medium to freeze the moment. Not the picture maker. Camera never make the picture. We make the picture. And camera just record it. As simple as that.

Ryan
    Last edited by Ryan Alden; July 2nd, 2010 at 19:45.

Thanks to all. I know next to nothing about this and thought that most of the quality shots I've seen on this forum were taken by people who spent a bunch of money on equipment. It's good to find out otherwise. Give me a month or so and I'll be posting the most out of focus shots you've ever seen!

Turns out my fiancée wanted a better camera to take pictures of her yarn and roving. We just ordered a G11. I have indeed now reached the very bottom of the next level. Thanks for providing the insight, encouragement and great pictures.

Most of the P&S (point and shoot) cameras do a good job in the macro department. For years I used a 2mp Sony. Try them out in the store before you buy though. On some the focusing distance in macro is not that close so you have to do a lot of cropping. The G series cameras from Canon focus down real close and have many manual adjustments. I've had the G9, 10 and 11. All great P&S cameras. Besides watches I do a lot of product photography and the limitation of the P&S cameras is letting light to the subject. Sometimes your so close you cannot get light where you need it. This is where a good DSLR and macro lens comes in. Today I shoot most of my watches with a Canon 5DMII (certainly overkill) and a 100mm 2.8 macro lens. This gives me a lot of working room between the subject and camera. Also, tremendous control over DOF, depth of field. So you could buy a nice XSI or T1i Canon DSLR and a 60mm EFS macro lens and do a bang up job. Cameras are like cars....most anyone will get you there; the rest is about the quality of the ride, speed, coolness and flexibility.

Have fun no matter what you choose.

Rob

DON

I use a Panasonic LX3 which is popular >>

and can be found for lower prices now

DON

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information