Photography newcomer

Thread: Photography newcomer

Photography newcomer

Hello all,
    I was interested in getting a camera for tourism, advertising, and up close pictures. I was hoping to get some input on what would be a good camera for this. I am quite new to cameras so please keep that in mind. Thanks.

Re: Photography newcomer

There are so many options. What's your budget? Do you want a compact or DSLR?

Budget is between $1000-1500. If lower thats good too. DSLR. I'm new to cameras. But I think DSLR is what I would like.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

There are many options. Canon, Nikon, Sony, Samsung, Fuji all make entry to mid-level DSLR's around your budget. If you are starting out, I'd suggest getting a good (not great) body and the best lens you can afford. Don't forget a memory card and possibly a case. The saying goes "bodies come and go, but lenses are forever". This means you will graduate through several bodies, but a good lens will last for many years. For a good all-around lens, look into the 18mm - 135mm range. This one lens will cover quite a bit of what you need.
    From there you can keep increasing your knowledge and camera confidence, and you will have taken the first steps into a lifelong hobby.
    Pink Floyd. Dark side of the moon. Side one, track four.
    Gallet Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/GalletChronographs/

Is there a body you recommend? Is there one brand that has a slight edge over the other? Example: Canon vs Nikon. Thanks.

Nikon vs Canon, they both make great cameras. Users usually fall on one side of the fence or the other. Like Dan said bodies come and go but the lenses are forever. A canon or nikon would be a good choice and since they are the two biggies you can pick up some sweet deals on used equipment if you look for it.
    W3
    My Collection:
    Seiko 6309 7049, Seiko 6309 7040, Seiko SKX007, Seiko SKX009,
    Seiko 5 6119C-8083, Seiko 6309-8239
    W3 Vintage Diver, Citizen AP2161-68M, Bulovia 1965 30 Jewel, vintage Tissot

If I had to do it all over again, I'd consider Sony. Their Alpha series are very fine cameras, and the Carl Zeiss Lenses are quite nice. They are putting in some nice things for the money, that you probably can't get in Canon/ Nikon
    Pink Floyd. Dark side of the moon. Side one, track four.
    Gallet Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/GalletChronographs/

Nikon d5100 with nikkor 18-105 vr is great for you. It is around USD 1100-1200

Nikon D5100 kit with an 18-105 kit Lens? « NEW CAMERA

I am canon and pentax user, but this seems for me the best combination without need for exchanging lens on limited budget.

The Nikon D5100 kit mentioned in the post above is a good starter kit. Nikon, Canon, Sony all make good cameras. So I would recommend you go to a store and see which one feels best in your hands. For travelling (I guess you meant that with tourism?) it's nice to have extra battery, memory card and a carry bag. You also mentioned close up shots. Well, if you want to take really close up pictures of let's say date window on a watch you'll need a macro lens too. If you don't need to go so close then the kit lens is OK.

Thread Information