Photoshop makes better pictures??

Thread: Photoshop makes better pictures??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Picture Photoshop makes better pictures??

In THIS thread, there is a discussion if better equipment will lead to better pictures. I believe it can lead to better pictures IF you know what you are doing and know how to work with the equipment. I also believe that a photographer in this era cannot work without Photoshop. Here is why:

Before:

After:

The before picture isn't bad. The lighting is good, the perspective is good and it is sharp. But it wasn't the image I had in my head. The AR on the crystal made the dial blue and the pictures was lacking contrast. With some dodging and burning (mostly burning) and sharpening, the picture became more interesting.

What do you think?
    Last edited by Dimer; May 24th, 2010 at 10:58.
    - IWC Ingenieur Automatic IW3227-01
    - Omega Speedmaster Mitsukoshi
    - Casio G-Shock G8900DGK-7 DGK
    - Casio G-Shock GW-7900RD-4JF

Shortlist
    - Panerai Radiomir 1940 PAM512

Re: Photoshop makes better pictures??

Nicely done! I agree that post processing is essential.

yes, definitely. but PS doesn't make a better photography.

cheers

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Great pic - love the wood chippings after processing
    I guess like the other thread on whether better kit makes better pictures, my own answer is yes, if you know what you are doing. Just as a f1.5 50mm lens will produce better portrait pics than a stock zoom with f.4- lens (sharper focus, creamier bokeh), so post processing can improve colour, texture, tone, contrast, framing etc I personally am not a fan of heavy photoshopping which imports other images and changes colours to look freaky or remove unwanted objects. I think some photoshopping is cheating - not photography but computer graphic design which dishonours the original picture.

But from this and his other posts, I think Dimer honours the photograph and enhances and improves it appropriately.

Makes me think I need to get photoshop as all I have is my pac Iphoto

si
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose" Jim Elliot - Missionary, Martyr

Sure it does!!! As in good old no pixel times they shoot films and then were playing shamanism in dark rooms - now we try to use all the features of PS. And I can not understand statements like - if the picture was edited in PhotoShop, then you can not consider it as real photo. BS! I am photographer, author, creator. And I can use for that process of creation whatever tools I want. Including editing. The main goal of photography as any other art - to deliver idea, mood, beauty...

The only place where serious editing can't be done is photojournalism.
    <hr /><a href=https://forums.watchuseek.com/f78/watch-through-lenses-chronicles-one-obsession-638371.html target=_blank>https://forums.watchuseek.com/f78/wat...on-638371.html</a>

Sorry, even the post edited picture has flaws. No detail in the watch strap, completely black, and the blue haze is still evident in the crystal near the top (in the picture). Color correction is one thing, but this pic should have been tossed!

Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick B View Post
    Sorry, even the post edited picture has flaws. No detail in the watch strap, completely black, and the blue haze is still evident in the crystal near the top (in the picture). Color correction is one thing, but this pic should have been tossed!

Sorry.
    I don't recall I said this is the only way to go and my picture is absolutely perfect. I have kept the blue hue on top of the crystal on purpose (see my HOW TO). I have enough detail in the strap on my screen. Maybe your screen needs to be calibrated? I don't think I can take you last remark seriously, I'm not saying my pictures are the best of the best, but if you think the picture should be tossed you have a VERY high standard and I can't wait to see your pictures!

Shortlist

Quote Originally Posted by Dimer View Post
    I don't recall I said this is the only way to go and my picture is absolutely perfect. I have kept the blue hue on top of the crystal on purpose (see my HOW TO). I have enough detail in the strap on my screen. Maybe your screen needs to be calibrated? I don't think I can take you last remark seriously, I'm not saying my pictures are the best of the best, but if you think the picture should be tossed you have a VERY high standard and I can't wait to see your pictures!

Composition of picture is very good!

It is the exposure of the picture, that makes it difficult to work.
    Using Curves in PS, I can pull a picture back from the abyss, but I gave up on this one after 20 minutes.

BTW, brightness on my IMAC is set at 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick B View Post
    Composition of picture is very good!

It is the exposure of the picture, that makes it difficult to work.
    Using Curves in PS, I can pull a picture back from the abyss, but I gave up on this one after 20 minutes.

BTW, brightness on my IMAC is set at 100%.
    The picture that I put on the web is a stripped JPG. It isn't strange that is difficult to work with (when using curves) in PS.

I can get more detail from my RAW file. But I like the dark/eerie feeling of the photo and I don't think the strap is too black on the right side. A well... beauty is in the eye of the beholder ;) We might have a different taste and take on photography.

Shortlist

Quote Originally Posted by Dimer View Post
    The picture that I put on the web is a stripped JPG. It isn't strange that is difficult to work with (when using curves) in PS.

I can get more detail from my RAW file. But I like the dark/eerie feeling of the photo and I don't think the strap is too black on the right side. A well... beauty is in the eye of the beholder ;) We might have a different taste and take on photography.

Agree with you there! That is the same for all arts, like music. Problem is you have to die before someone appreciates your art!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information