Picked up a new lens...test shot, any thoughts?

Thread: Picked up a new lens...test shot, any thoughts?

Picked up a new lens...test shot, any thoughts?

I picked up a Sigma 18-125 OS HSM lens off the 'bay. Got it delivered today.
    Got home and was anxious to take few test shots. Fired off few taking pics of my kid using built-in flash, came out decent. Then decided to use available light, no flash and took few shots of my watches. Battery was pretty much dead so I didn't have much time to compose and light it properly, but wanted to see what this glass is capable of. I got few good shots, this one was among them. Post processed in CS3 with Levels, Curves, Saturation, Contrast. Resized it and sharpened it a bit. What do you guys think of the image quality?

color

and b&w conversion...

Re: Picked up a new lens...test shot, any thoughts?

It looks nice and sharp. No Exif data attached, though looks like it was about f/4.

Honestly, I think the shot of the one watch with its nice reflection on the ivory would be plenty. The other out of focus watches tend to detract from the composition.
    I like the color version better, I'm a sucker for soft colors!
    Pink Floyd. Dark side of the moon. Side one, track four.
    Gallet Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/GalletChronographs/

Re: Picked up a new lens...test shot, any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by DragonDan View Post
    It looks nice and sharp. No Exif data attached, though looks like it was about f/4.

Honestly, I think the shot of the one watch with its nice reflection on the ivory would be plenty. The other out of focus watches tend to detract from the composition.
    I like the color version better, I'm a sucker for soft colors!
    Thanks for your thoughts Dan! I think this was taken at f8 and about 70mm...I'll go back to exif and check.

I've only taken few shots with this lens so far before the battery in the camera died.

I'll post more samples soon.

Thread Information