Playing with lights

Thread: Playing with lights

Playing with lights

I've been shooting watches in natural light since moving to the UK and leaving my studio equipment behind. Thought I'd have a play with some cheap lights this evening.

I used 2 cheapo 40 watt table lamps and taped one sheet of printer paper around them to diffuse some light. I shot everything handheld so I couldn't get any dof, and in this shot I was holding a light in one hand and the camera in the other.

I also set a custom white balance to try to offset the tungsten lighting. On my colour calibrated Mac, this looks not too bad to me. I see some tungsten artifact on the right hand side of the case that's probably from the undiffused overhead room light. Not sure how it'll look on a PC. My pics usually look bad to me when I view them on a PC. :)

The dark background took away a stop from the lighter background I shot some others with, but I kinda liked it. I was using my old 300D with its cheap kit lens and shot it in jpg, with just a few PS adjustments.

On a tripod, this setup might just work. Whatcha think?
    Cheers,
    Bruce
    Wear what you like.

Re: Playing with lights

I'd be very happy if I could produce a shot like that under any circumstances!

Quote Originally Posted by spogehead View Post
    I'd be very happy if I could produce a shot like that under any circumstances!
    Cheers Ryan!
    Wear what you like.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

stuffler,mike

Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    Thanks Mike!
    Wear what you like.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceS View Post
    "...On my colour calibrated Mac, this looks not too bad to me.....Not sure how it'll look on a PC. My pics usually look bad to me when I view them on a PC......"
    It's not so much how things "look" on a PC...you hit it on the head when you mentioned calibration. Mac and PC monitors are generally shipped with two different "white points". If you calibrate your monitor, this white point can be adjusted any way you want. The important thing is to calibrate and 99.9% of computer users don't bother! And then they wonder why when they print their digital photos what comes outta the printer looks NOTHING like what they see on their monitor!

Now...back to your lighting...the split soft lighting you've used here is great for showing maximum detail, but it does reduce drama. Don't get too wrapped up in what is "correct" at the expense of what will result in an eye-catching photo. This shot of my new IWC was lit with a combination of window light and the glow from my computer monitor and the watch sat on my desk...

The beauty of the shot isn't that you see everything in a wash of light or that everything is in sharp focus, but rather that everything ISN'T perfect! Selective focus and less light sometimes does the trick...

Greetings From Cramerica!!!

Yes I see what you mean Brad. I'm very guilty of trying to make photos perfect, and you're so right that it's very often at the expense of what makes a photo interesting.

I call this pic one of my favourite mistakes. It's not what I was trying to accomplish, but I loved the result.

I do love your pic of the IWC, and the watch too!

Cheers,
    Bruce
    Wear what you like.

Thats a great shot of the IWC

Speedy pic is pretty cool to Bruce,

Thanks Ryan. Thinking about Brads comments, here are a couple of pictures that I never thought were all that good technically, but they do have some "drama"

Maybe the drama is WTF was he trying to do?
    Cheers,
    Bruce
    Wear what you like.

Thread Information