Playing with water droplets.

Thread: Playing with water droplets.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Playing with water droplets.

Hi photography enthusiasts.

I bought my first real camera a couple of months ago. I'm very happy with the 450D so far!

I was experimenting with water droplets. I think I've worked out some tricks to improve the shots in future, but I'll share my first efforts nonetheless.

These were taken with a 450D, Tamron 17-50mm set to f/11 50mm and macro tubes. The white balance was set to Tungsten to give the blue hue and I was using the onboard flash reflected off a gloss metal backing (not shown).

...and then I went outside and found some dew.

Re: Playing with water droplets.

Great work, well done!

Looks fantastic.
    <hr /><a href=https://forums.watchuseek.com/f78/watch-through-lenses-chronicles-one-obsession-638371.html target=_blank>https://forums.watchuseek.com/f78/wat...on-638371.html</a>

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Bravo! Those are very impressive!

Keep up the good work,
    Wallace
    For me, every day is a new thing. I approach each project with a new insecurity, almost like the first project I ever did, and I get the sweats. I go in and start working. I'm not sure where I'm going - if I knew where I was going, I wouldn't do it. Frank Gehry

very nice! color and sharpness is great! very nice DOF as well.

Tamron 17-50 is on my list to trt. I'm now using Canon 18-55 IS with my T1i. Not a bad glass, but it feels like a toy.

How do you like the Tamron? is it solid? how is the sharpness for landscape shots? Anything to complain about?

Thanks guys. :thanks

Quote Originally Posted by audphile1 View Post
    How do you like the Tamron? is it solid? how is the sharpness for landscape shots? Anything to complain about?
    Well, I'll list pros and cons.

Pros:

1) The Tamron is not a heavy lens, but it is very solidly constructed with very nice build quality
    2) The action of both focus and zoom rings on mine is pleasantly smooth
    3) There is very little chromatic aberration unless I'm doing 17mm at f/2.8, but at that kind of extreme most lenses have trouble
    4) Sharpness is quite uniform and distortion is less than the kit lens, vanishing almost completely at anything above 17mm
    5) Autofocus is very fast and I've not had any problems with accuracy.
    6) Constant f2.8 available through ALL of the zoom range

Cons:

1) It is a noisy little guy, as the (fast) AF motor is not ultrasonic
    2) The focus ring rotates when autofocussing
    3) I had to take my first lens back due to exaggerated chromatic aberration in back-end out of focus areas

All in all I'm really very pleased with the lens. It is a significant step up from the kit lens (in my opinion) and feels great to use. There was the initial hiccup with the first lens, but that was sorted under warranty and I've enjoyed it ever since.

Sample shot to show the AF has what it takes (even though it isn't ultrasonic):

Last edited by domi; January 22nd, 2010 at 23:19.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question.

Awesome shot of the bird! Really crisp and good color saturation. Shallow DOF makes the bird pop.

I guess the way to go about this Tamron is to buy new from a place where I can exchange it. I've been reading up on this lens and issues are common with these. I guess Tamron's QC isn't all that.

I'm actually really surprised how good the kit 18-55 IS lens is. It definitely exceeded my expectations. It is pretty sharp and produces decent images. Where it falls short is in the contrast department. I think the Tamron is a bit better, from what I've seen in the samples I looked at.

The kit lens seems to be fantastic value for money.

It is actually quite nice glass by all accounts, but feels really light and the focus/zoom rings are a bit sloppy.

The 17-50 feels far nicer to use in practice and is at the low end of the Tamron 'Pro' range. It is also great value for money, just up the ladder a bit.

The only thing you may want to bear in mind is that although the 17-50 has slightly better glass and much better build, the 18-55 has image stabilization.
    I guess the advantage with the Tamron is that you can open up the aperture and increase the shutter speed to eliminate shake.

Thats only really an issue below .50 for most people anyhow, unless significantly zoomed.

That said, I'm still learning things so certainly don't take my word as gospel.

Quote Originally Posted by domi View Post
    The kit lens seems to be fantastic value for money.

It is actually quite nice glass by all accounts, but feels really light and the focus/zoom rings are a bit sloppy.

The 17-50 feels far nicer to use in practice and is at the low end of the Tamron 'Pro' range. It is also great value for money, just up the ladder a bit.

The only thing you may want to bear in mind is that although the 17-50 has slightly better glass and much better build, the 18-55 has image stabilization.
    I guess the advantage with the Tamron is that you can open up the aperture and increase the shutter speed to eliminate shake.

Thats only really an issue below .50 for most people anyhow, unless significantly zoomed.

That said, I'm still learning things so certainly don't take my word as gospel.
    IS is a very cool feature. That's for sure.
    The reason I was interested in the Tamron though is the fact that it is a fixed f/2.8 lens, so I can take a landscape shot if I want to at 17mm and stop it down to f/8 or f/11, or, use it to take a protrait at 50mm with an f/2.8 to create a nice bokeh. I do have a Canon 50mm f/1.8 prime, but I would rather have 1 lens that can do it all than cary 2 lenses with me...well, depending on the situation of course.
    Thanks again!

Nice shots there u got!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information