Point and shoot question

Thread: Point and shoot question

Point and shoot question

I have a digital point and shoot that I am going to use to take some watch pics. Am I better off setting the camera to the maximum resolution which makes the picture huge, and reducing the size before posting OR taking the picture at a lower resolution which will make the pics the correct size from the start?

Re: Point and shoot question

Quote Originally Posted by bleddrewsoe View Post
    I have a digital point and shoot that I am going to use to take some watch pics. Am I better off setting the camera to the maximum resolution which makes the picture huge, and reducing the size before posting OR taking the picture at a lower resolution which will make the pics the correct size from the start?
    Except for a few specific circumstances, assume that retaining as much quality as possible until the last moment is always the best idea. Take your pictures in as high a resolution as possible, make your adjustments on that size, then just before you post them to the internet - resize them. In fact, save the resized version as a different file and keep your big original.

It might not sound like a very efficient way of working, but as a general habit it will save you from a future in which you suddenly have another need for a pic and discover to your detriment that you only have the crappy 640x480 version.

Another tip, if you're using Photoshop, use the "Save for web" feature. It makes optimalized JPGs that you can adjust the compression on, which will save you a lot on load times. You don't want to know how many times people resize a pic for 'internet size' but the JPG is (relatively) huge because they used a normal save with almost no compression.

Re: Point and shoot question

I wouldnt worry about file size so much. general rule of thumb is that you can always go down in resolution but not back up.

More important aspects are the simple things you can control to get better pics.

Some point and shoot cameras have manual mode.

ISO: the lower the number usually the better the quality of picture. However this will increase exposure time and you will probably need a tripod or set the camera down so it doesnt move.

If your exposure time is long and as hard as you try to hold it still, the picture comes out blurry, then you need a tripod. Second thing you can do is use the self timer. It is a great way to take steady shots. you cant be impatient with photography if you want clean pictures. even if you use a tripod, pushing the shutter button can cause the camera to move a little and make your picture crap.

WB: white balance is better if you know what type of lighting you have. usually you will need a photo program like photoshop to help adjust levels and color balance but setting the WB helps a lot.

some cameras, like my old sony point and shoot, could actually control exposure time and force the camera to take a longer picture. this is helpful when there is not that much light. sometimes what your eye perceives as "enough light" just isnt enough for the camera. But again longer exposure times will require the use of a tripod.

Thread Information