Poorman's Macro

Thread: Poorman's Macro

Poorman's Macro

Dont know if you guys know this trick or not. But a simple film loupe can make a regular point and shoot camera into a decent macro camera, even those cameras with the "flower" feature.

I apologize as this is a watch forum, but this is a post I made in my flashlight collectors forum. All that matters is the principle and the results of my poorman's macro solution.

Normally you need a good camera and a macro lens.

Here is an example. This was taken with my friend's Canon 20D and his Sigma Macro Lens

Now you will have noticed that the areas outside of the main focus ("UR" of surefire) are out of focus. This can be solved by upping the F-Stop (actually I think you make it smaller but anyway the number is bigger and this is what it looks like)

Now here is as close as I can get with my friend's Macro lens. The subject is the MN21 bulb of my M6. Please excuse the large size. im showing that by leaving the image in rather hi-res you can get up closer than the camera can. sort of a "digital" zoom.

http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/3973/img0417bj6.jpg

This next picture is taken with my GF's Point and shoot Sony camera.

This next pic was taken with the Macro "flower" feature. Some cameras have a "magnifying lens" feature that can get closer. But this is as close as I can get with this Sony before it is too close and cant focus properly.

Now here is my revelation/revolution. Again this was taken with the same Sony as above. please excuse the slight blurriness. it is hard to keep the camera still when you shoot macro.

Here is another example of my "revelation", This is one of the nubs of the M6 grip.

Here is the "caution: Hot Surface" logo from my 6PL

If I zoom a little with the camera's optical zoom, then I can get a little tighter.

So what is this revelation? A simple film/slide loupe. those little magnifiers to look at slides or film with.

Here is the Sony camera and my film loupe.

And to use it, I just put it over the lens.

You can also flip the loupe around and use it. You should probably use a tripod with this as any amount of breathing can shake the camera. But the problem is that you need to hold the loupe onto the camera. I suppose you could use tape to get it to stick.

Re: Poorman's Macro

Very cool! Thanks for posting.
    ...It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live!

Sweet. Never tried to to this with a P&S. Handy that yours has a manually-adjustable aperture so you can get more depth of field.

I tried the loupe thing before on an SLR, but the lens is much bigger than the loupe and my loupe is a piece of crap, so it didn't work out too well. Then I discovered reverse-mounting the lens, then cheap eBay macro tubes :D

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by SquishyPanda View Post
    Sweet. Never tried to to this with a P&S. Handy that yours has a manually-adjustable aperture so you can get more depth of field.

I tried the loupe thing before on an SLR, but the lens is much bigger than the loupe and my loupe is a piece of crap, so it didn't work out too well. Then I discovered reverse-mounting the lens, then cheap eBay macro tubes :D
    Oh that Sony doesnt have manual aperture control. My other sony P&S did. The one in the picture is my gf's and it is no where close to my 5 year old Sony P&S.

I could change from 5.6 to 2.8 fstop and control exposure time, to increase brightness. Very cool feature in my old Sony. But now it is just my $250 Nikon D40 kit that i got on clearance. yeaht he loupe trick doesnt work on bigger cameras.

But this trick works for iphones. You cant get as close but helps a lot when you want to get closer with just an iphone.

I've tried that and it works like a charm...

Quote Originally Posted by Solscud007 View Post
    Oh that Sony doesnt have manual aperture control. My other sony P&S did. The one in the picture is my gf's and it is no where close to my 5 year old Sony P&S.

I could change from 5.6 to 2.8 fstop and control exposure time, to increase brightness. Very cool feature in my old Sony. But now it is just my $250 Nikon D40 kit that i got on clearance. yeaht he loupe trick doesnt work on bigger cameras.

But this trick works for iphones. You cant get as close but helps a lot when you want to get closer with just an iphone.
    Hah... I didn't think of using it on a camera phone. I'll try that one of these days.

Quote Originally Posted by SquishyPanda View Post
    Hah... I didn't think of using it on a camera phone. I'll try that one of these days.
    Heh, we should send this info to that company which makes a stick-on zoom lens for cameraphones. Make them do a stick-on macro lens

Thread Information