Puzzling Photographic Sequence, HELP NEEDED

Thread: Puzzling Photographic Sequence, HELP NEEDED

Puzzling Photographic Sequence, HELP NEEDED

Spider was in a dark corner and I began my sequence of six shots moving about 8 inches closer each shot; It appears the camera, a Sony F707, switched to "nightshot," which is infrared, for the final two shots, because the spider was getting closer and darker; but how did the spider and its shadow become two spiders? Is one a shadow or are both the real spider and we're just seeing doubles? What was going on?

Bonus points if you can identify the spider.
    <br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>
    "Can we bless or at least not curse whatever struggles to stay alive on this planet of struggles?"

"To live and to die in gratefulness if in no other virtue."

-Galway Kinnell

Re: Puzzling Photographic Sequence, HELP NEEDED

Were you handheld? Might be some sort of shutter lag.

Your first shot is f2.4 1/80s at ISO 100.

Last shot is at f2.4 1/32s at ISO 320.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsar Bomba View Post
    Were you handheld? Might be some sort of shutter lag.

Your first shot is f2.4 1/80s at ISO 100.

Last shot is at f2.4 1/32s at ISO 320.

Yes, it was handheld...you can tell by how fuzzy the images are. Would shutter lag space two images like that?
    "Can we bless or at least not curse whatever struggles to stay alive on this planet of struggles?"

-Galway Kinnell

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

In the last 2 nightshot photos... Sony's Nightshot mode is IR based so that means your camera is projecting some sort of IR beam. I bet if you look at the front of your camera you'll see a little red/black lens and it's positioned in a good spot for taking a photo of a subject that's a few feet away or more. . If that's the case, you were probably close enough that it projected from way to the side and created a shadow on the wall behind and way off to the side.

Quote Originally Posted by heebs View Post
    In the last 2 nightshot photos... Sony's Nightshot mode is IR based so that means your camera is projecting some sort of IR beam. I bet if you look at the front of your camera you'll see a little red/black lens and it's positioned in a good spot for taking a photo of a subject that's a few feet away or more. . If that's the case, you were probably close enough that it projected from way to the side and created a shadow on the wall behind and way off to the side.
    yes, thanks, it had to be something like that. The odd thing remains, which may just be an artifact, that the shadows do not look identical. I haven't checked but I doubt IR can be used in macro mode, so that might explain also. Gave me doubles that were significantly out of focus because macro I'm assuming doesn't work in IR.

-Galway Kinnell

The spider was hanging by a web thread and started floating further away from the wall so the shadow moved away.
    Last edited by SynMike; November 1st, 2011 at 09:49.

Quote Originally Posted by SynMike View Post
    The spider was hanging by a web thread and started floating away from the wall.

I think you nailed it. I got too close the last two shots and it was preparing its getaway. I overlooked the simplicity of your explanation because I was following the red herring of it resulting from the sudden employment of IR, which was merely coincidental. In addition, I now see that the spider at the right in the last two IR shots is not as substantial and dark, and is indeed a shadow.

Glad my camera is not haunted, though that might have been kind of cool. Thanks for taking the time, SynMike.

-Galway Kinnell

Thread Information